Whats living in your stacks ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Yesterday I was blowing leaves. I like to keep the leaves about 6 ft from my double row stacks. I top cover the stacks. At the base there is about 8 inches between the two rows. It tapers in as they go up to about 7 ft. As I was blowing a fox ran out. I didn't see where he came from. The fox has been hanging around all summer. My wife said she had seen him going in at the end. We have deer bed down up against the stacks. My stacks have quite a few nests in them. I was moving this seasons wood and had a chipmunk come running out. I feel good that my stacks are a source of cover for wildlife.

So what have you found in yours?

Spiders.... [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dafattkidd
Definitely spider! Chipmunks too. I always uncover a few nests, and I see them running in and out of the racks occasionally. During parts of the year, I feel like I am living in my stacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mice, snakes, and bunnies. Hunters and the hunted, all together.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It took a while but I've now got a healthy population of lizards living in the yard. More in back than in front, but I see them all the time there too. Little guys, no longer than 6 inches tip to tail. Fast as lighting too. They seem to have 2 speeds, stop and full tilt.

Reactions: gotboostido
Chipmunk, mice, squirrel (just passing thru) I wish they would all poop outside my stacks

Just lots of chipmunks and spiders. The rabbits live in a brush pile, no idea where the gray foxes are nesting, and the deer and turkeys just enjoy foraging at the apple trees, but don't bed here. The bears only come around for ripe garbage. They wouldn't fit in the stacks anyway, so it's ok. :)

Giant spiders. I haven’t seen much of anything else. I think the giant spiders eat any animals that get near.

Giant spiders. No doubt there are mice living in them as well since I always find old nests while grabbing wood in the winter. On the end of one of my stacks I found a birds nest. It looks old but I just noticed earlier in the summer. I left it just in case but it's starting to fall apart so it's likely from last year. It's nestled in on a piece of locust under my tin roofing and in front of the X brace I have between the two side supports. It's also facing East so wind isn't much of an issue. A very cozy place for a nest!

Killed an opossum checking on one of mine last year (scared the $&#^ out of me when it ran by). In the spring I got a golden retriever puppy so now my yard (and stacks) are critter-free.

(The critters have been replaced with shredded garbage and dog toys)

Mostly rats, opossums and spiders. Occasionally raccoons will walk across the top, but they don't linger. Rats and opossums like to nest under and between the splits, which drives my dogs nuts. They've killed several of each.

Pretty sure I've got mice and chipmunks in this years stack.

They'll move into the condos in the newly built next year stack as the heating season progresses

I've had chipmunks, snakes, deer and a skunk but this year I uncovered the biggest mice nest I've ever seen, a couple scooted when I uncovered it but one stayed, my brother tossed a split and knocked it square in the noggin, I guess my cats aren't doing their job this year.

Mostly just bugs for me. My cat keeps my yard clear of mice. Squirrels like to run across them while scavenging for acorns.

This fall I have had a young black bear. He has been bedding down between to piles of splits. I jump him about every third morning ,while feeding my racing pigeons. I don't mind him until he tries to get to my white doves. Chipmunks in my stacks too. I like them.

My stacks are just a few dozen feet from where there were three unmarked natural red shale head stones, until being turned under by construction equipment four years ago. I’m not sure if they’re ancient, or a hoax left by a prior owners’ kids, but I’m not sure I want to know what’s living in my stacks.

Pet cemetery?

Last edited:
Mine are less interesting, being on the driveway. I find carpenter ants (in a few old logs) and spiders. And fungus.

Spiders of Biblical proportions, wife hates to help me move wood. I try to explain that they keep the other bugs at bay, but she's not convinced.

I had rabbits run under the skids this year. Other than that nothing actually lives there. But bugs, snakes and chipmunks and/or mice might hang out and even stash some acorns there.

right at the base of this years stack a underground bee's nest. took 4 sprays to kill it.

Was splitting up a pile near the boiler when I noticed the dog freaking out. Turns out I spooked a chipmunk out of the pile, which turned into the dogs newest plaything.

The last two winters while splitting I have seen an ermine. Curious little fellow that got within 3-4' of me. His little head poked out of the stacked wood everywhere.

Reviving this thread as I found two opossums in my wood stack. I was breaking into a new one and me pulling wood out of there did not bother them one bit. I only discovered them when I pulled the tarp off the top.

I've left the tarp off as of now, does anyone know if they will vacate the premises by themselves? I'm not scared of them or anything, but would still like to avoid close contact, for various reasons. So they will have to go, one way or another.

Right now they are perched on top of the stack out in the open. The ultima ratio would be to go get my 10/22, but maybe there's a more peaceful way to get them to leave...