What's going on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supafry

Dec 6, 2020
Webster, NH
Bought a new house with 2 Englander pellet stoves. Model 25-PDVC. One of the 2 will not fire and keeps resetting on the control panel (video attached). If I manually start a fire and turn it on after it goes into shutdown mode I can sometimes get it to run and then it will go all day no problem. I have tried to call the service department of Englander but cannot get through. I have vac'ed everything I can see from the unit. Anyone have any ideas where I should start? Completely new to pellet stoves!

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.6 MB
I'm not an Englander stove owner so I don't have any experience with your stove. Looking at the video my thought is there's a power supply issue. I would start by checking voltages at the plug and then internally. If you're plugged into a UPS or surge suppressor I would remove those and check it again.

Hopefully, the Englander pros will jump in soon and give you better advice.

Fist off welcome to the forms! the 2 stoves you have are going to put you in a big learning curve. the best advice i can give is to use the little magnifing glass and do a search for "25pdvc reset" and you can read all about the issues and how to reset boards and modes. I know they are there cause i have posted them more than a few times.
Now the one in the video you can try to reset the board and see if it straightens out but it looks like it took a power surge and the programming may be messed up.

diagnostic mode: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 seconds press the LBA/AOT buttons at the same time. the 3 lower button lights will come on press LBA once again and you are in diagnostics mode. 2 dashes will show in the windows. heat range up button will turn on upper auger and the light will change to a small o down button turns on the lower auger and the light will be like an 8. pushing the blower speed up button turns on the combustion blower and does the small o and the down button turns on the convection blower then again an 8 meaning it cna be verifide by observing each motor. now the thing is, diagnostics is on a separate program on the 28pin prom/ic/pic so it is good when the board has not been over powered or shorted. it will show everything works and the business side does not. long chats and emails with Mike Holten and i am the one to blame for them not selling the proms separately (long story)anymore. you buy a new board

Factory reset: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 sec push all 3 bottom buttons an hold for 5 sec release and F5 wil show in window. this just put setting back to factory. which should be 5-4-1 and mode for your stove. 25PDVC mode D / 25PDV mode C.

Mode change: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in hold blower sped up and down arrows down for 5 sec then release. the mode the stove is in will be displayed in the heat range window A,B,C,D. to change press heat range up or down to desired mode. A,B are for different stoves so they should not be used.

as for the schematic! that is not even available to ESW. it is proprietary and probably never to be released do to the boards are subcontracted out to meet their requirements. you will have to trace the circuits yourself. if you use the search option you will find countless threads on the 2 stoves.

NOTE: from the chip co. Note the following details of the code protection feature on Microchip devices: • Microchip products meet the specification contained in their particular Microchip Data Sheet. • Microchip believes that its family of products is one of the most secure families of its kind on the market today, when used in the intended manner and under normal conditions. • There are dishonest and possibly illegal methods used to breach the code protection feature. All of these methods, to our knowledge, require using the Microchip products in a manner outside the operating specifications contained in Microchip’s Data Sheets. Most likely, the person doing so is engaged in theft of intellectual property. • Microchip is willing to work with the customer who is concerned about the integrity of their code. • Neither Microchip nor any other semiconductor manufacturer can guarantee the security of their code. Code protection does not mean that we are guaranteeing the product as “unbreakable.” Code protection is constantly evolving. We at Microchip are committed to continuously improving the code protection features of our products. Attempts to break Microchip’s code protection feature may be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If such acts allow unauthorized access to your software or other copyrighted work, you may have a right to sue for relief under that Act.

View attachment 236852 View attachment 236854

25pdv and pdvc have a verrrrry weak exhaust. everything is dependent on the vacuum it draws either the vent is plugged/restricted, path through the stove is plugged/restricted, intake is plugged or restricted. or your motor is to weak, the fan blade is worn out and its not able to pull a good vacuum.

diagnostic mode: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 seconds press the LBA/AOT buttons at the same time. the 3 lower button lights will come on press LBA once again and you are in diagnostics mode. 2 dashes will show in the windows. heat range up button will turn on upper auger and the light will change to a small o down button turns on the lower auger and the light will be like an 8. pushing the blower speed up button turns on the combustion blower and does the small o and the down button turns on the convection blower then again an 8 meaning it cna be verifide by observing each motor. now the thing is, diagnostics is on a separate program on the 28pin prom/ic/pic so it is good when the board has not been over powered or shorted. it will show everything works and the business side does not. long chats and emails with Mike Holten and i am the one to blame for them not selling the proms separately (long story)anymore. you buy a new board

Factory reset: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 sec push all 3 bottom buttons an hold for 5 sec release and F5 wil show in window. this just put setting back to factory. which should be 5-4-1 and mode for your stove. 25PDVC mode D / 25PDV mode C.

Mode change: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in hold blower sped up and down arrows down for 5 sec then release. the mode the stove is in will be displayed in the heat range window A,B,C,D. to change press heat range up or down to desired mode. A,B are for different stoves so they should not be used.

OK here is the manual for that stove, 25pdvc manual. go to pg 15 do all 3 maintainance cleanings. these stoves are great but they have to be CLEAN ;) (a babybottle brush works great to get down behind theimpingment plate in the firebox) when ya get it clean give it a try and we can go from there

Last edited:
Reactions: ericofmaine
So just an update. Cleaned some more and was still having the same result. I pulled the control panel from the second stove I had in the basement and replaced it in the affected unit. Started right up no issues. Guessing the prior owners had some type of surge or something and the board was shorted somehow. I will eventually have to buy a new board for the 2nd unit. Thanks for all the advice!