Whatcha got cooking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Just wondering what all has been cooked in a wood stove? Ive seen pizzas, and heard baked potatoes, but I was curious what else has been done out there (and remember with out photos it didnt happen ;) )

not in a stove, but on it. stew. chili. pizza (on top of stove). and (not by me, but with my stove) a complete thanksgiving meal! the power was out one year, so...turkey and all the trimmings.
one member of this site does a mean pot pie, also!

I brew teas on top, but that's it. Thanksgiving dinner? that's awesome!

This was a cheese topped herby plaited loaf we did in the stove just as it went out yesterday evening.

No pictures of it after cooking as it smelt too tasty and got gobbled up before I could even get the camera out :)

[Hearth.com] Whatcha got cooking?

I have done hot dogs on top of the stove..among other things...chicken soup...pulled pork....pizza...all came out great...

woodchip said:
This was a cheese topped herby plaited loaf we did in the stove just as it went out yesterday evening.

No pictures of it after cooking as it smelt too tasty and got gobbled up before I could even get the camera out :)

Want...recipe....please... Looks absolutely delicious, and that's unbaked, can totally understand lack of after picture.

Recipe is quite simple.

I make a lot of Australian damper bread (from my times over there camping in the outback), and this is a modification of that.
The original damper was just dough chucked into ashes from a camp fire.

You need some self raising flour, pinch of salt, few drips of veg oil, some herbs, and some water.
Mix into a dough (about 3 parts flour to 1 part water) with the herbs and salt, easy to mix with a knife in a smallish bowl.
Don't overmix or knead the dough, as it can cook up a bit tough.
Ideally allow to rest for an hour (but not vital), then slice the dough into two thirds/one third.
Line the tin with the two thirds, and the other third split into three and plait, and then lay on top.
Cheese is best grated on, but was in a hurry to cook it and eat it so I just cut bits up and put them on.

It spent about 20 minutes in an oven which had the flue temp at 220, but with the glass door you can watch it rise and cook.

Then comes the best bit, eating.
Best done without too many friends round as you really will not want to share it ;-)

Hot Dogs we do them all the time in the monty. Just before I load up again. Just after it burns down to a bead of coals I'll ask hot dogs any one? If there are no answers I just load her up again. It all started one night with a friend over and a few beers. I was going to load up the insert and he said if we only had some hot dogs! Wife said there was some in the fridge. It was down hill from there.
The 602 has done duty doing chilly, soup and tea water. Some where there is a pic of the chilly. :cheese:

Remmy122 said:
no hotdogs??

Question was in response to the users name (hotdogman).

That bread looks awesome! Going to save that recipie for next winter (cant talk my wife into letting me fire the stove up when its 80* out). do you cook it in a regular bread pan?

Now Im curious what your cooking it in. Does it need/have to be cast iron like a camp dutch oven?

Keep it coming! I like the ideas Ive seen so far.

That bread was cooked in a regular pressed steel bread tin, but I do have a couple of Dutch ovens, one for the indoor stove, and one which goes out on the camp fire.

No worries about the bread btw, if it's 80f outside, make it in the ashes of a firepit, even better if you have a steel plate to pop over the firepit as it's going out.

A good variation on the recipe is to use beer instead of water, omit the herbs and you have a good beer bread.

Worth a glance at this to whet your appetite for outdoors bread, this is a must for anyone who loves the outdoor life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWUKM3PRys&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.