What would cause Cracked window P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davevach

Nov 1, 2016
Pelham NH 03076
So I started the stove a few days ago for the first time this year, it started right up and ran well for about 20
Minutes when I heard a loud cracking noise . The window cracked
What would cause Cracked window P68
I'm going to replace it but am wondering what could cause it do crack. It was still running perfect after cracking , I'm going to do a thorough cleaning before I replace it
It's a Oct 2008 model , so it's got a few years on it .

Years and years worth of creosote buildup inside the gasket,not allowing for expansion?Have only seen this rarely.Your best bet prob be measure and order wood stove glass off internet.

Reactions: bags
Changed the gasket two years ago. Maybe it's just showing its age. It was only heat source for 3-4 years until oil dropped below 2$ a gallon.

I did a search and find several places that sell the glass with the gasket for about $180 - and most give free shipping. Try stove parts unlimited, of stove parts 4less. Just make sure to get the correct part number from your manual and then cross reference with the (likely) new part number.

It is possible that a local Harman dealer would have one in stock, but I think that is doubtful as I have never heard of the glass breaking on one of those.

By chance did the glass get wet while it was hot or did you ever clean it before it cooled 100%? It is odd and rare but it can happen. Especially after being older. Your glass could have had an ever so slight nick on the edge from when it was cut or installed back in the day. Glass can be funny and even goofier when it gets any stress.

I do a lot with glass and windows. I have seen irregular glass cuts, or nicked edges that will eventually crack over time. Pyro or fire rated glass is expensive no matter what but I'd shop around on the net or locally too. Call some local glass shops because you might get lucky. Another place would be a place that does commercial fire rated doors.

It might be cheaper just to get a ready made glass kit for your P68. I'm not sure but it would be worth looking around anywhere and everywhere because you might save money. Like Bob said places that deal in wood stove glass etc; That glass will be the same or do the job. You just need to have it cut to size or find one that is the size you need.

By chance did the glass get wet while it was hot or did you ever clean it before it cooled 100%? It is odd and rare but it can happen. Especially after being older. Your glass could have had an ever so slight nick on the edge from when it was cut or installed back in the day. Glass can be funny and even goofier when it gets any stress.

I do a lot with glass and windows. I have seen irregular glass cuts, or nicked edges that will eventually crack over time. Pyro or fire rated glass is expensive no matter what but I'd shop around on the net or locally too. Call some local glass shops because you might get lucky. Another place would be a place that does commercial fire rated doors.

It might be cheaper just to get a ready made glass kit for your P68. I'm not sure but it would be worth looking around anywhere and everywhere because you might save money. Like Bob said places that deal in wood stove glass etc; That glass will be the same or do the job. You just need to have it cut to size or find one that is the size you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.