What type of maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Maybe hard (sugar) maple?
In S. Indiana.
[Hearth.com] What type of maple?

Nobody??

I does not look like soft maple.

I guess I’ll find out more once I start cutting into it.

Tough to tell the way the trees beat up and the way the suns hitting it. Post some more pics once you start cutting.

Isn’t opposite branching only for Ash? Not sure what you were getting at.

Oops. Just learned that maple also has opposite branching.

No opposing branches. Here’s some bud pics. Not on my property. Just trying to figure out if it’s worth it.

looks like hickory family to me

No opposing branches. Here’s some bud pics. Not on my property. Just trying to figure out if it’s worth it.

The main reason it would be worth it to me is the ease of recovery.

Reactions: jackatc1
Yeah pretty easy access. 5 miles away. In a big open field that I can pull my truck right up to. Already down. I might wait until the fall for this. I’ve got time.

Got some cut and split. Smells kind of sweet. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking Norway maple, bring a couple blades with you because these tree's grow twisted in the prevailing winds, great burning wood to, a little bit of pain to split, but it does burn nice.

I also think that it is hickory.

it is definitely not any kind of maple