What type of Jotul is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

ArnpriorMike

Sep 12, 2024
Clayton Ontario
There is a used Jotul that is currently for sale for $800 Canadian. Is this a good and efficient Jotul? Or should I keep looking.
This stove doesn't seem to have much to it.

Thanks everyone.

Mike

[Hearth.com] What type of Jotul is this?[Hearth.com] What type of Jotul is this?[Hearth.com] What type of Jotul is this?[Hearth.com] What type of Jotul is this?[Hearth.com] What type of Jotul is this?

jotul 3
Not sure which 3 version it is though?
It is a newer version of the original 3
Pre epa stove.

Reactions: ArnpriorMike
Would be great for cabin or occasional use.
But for a daily burner you would be better off with an epa stove with either secondary combustion or a catalyst.

Looks like a 3TD. No cat.

Reactions: ArnpriorMike
Looks almost new.

Reactions: stoveliker
Looks like it has a baffle in 1 of the pics.
It's either cleaned and repainted or in like new condition.
If is is indeed new or almost new that seems like a good deal for an occasional use stove.

If it's repainted got to check everything carefully.

Yes, there is a basic baffle in this stove. It's a simple, stout design. Not the most efficient, but almost bulletproof. ArnpriorMike, how and where would the stove be used? Does it have a UL testing label on back?

Yes, there is a basic baffle in this stove. It's a simple, stout design. Not the most efficient, but almost bulletproof. ArnpriorMike, how and where would the stove be used? Does it have a UL testing label on back?
It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my place. I'm going to look at it on Sunday. I'm replacing a 1986 Franco Belges model 134.10.01. It has a cracked in the back. It heats well, but may only get a 3 hour burn time. This Jotul seems to be built the same way. The top comes off with no re burn technology. Maybe I'd be better off getting a modern air tight.

Yes, it's similar though the Franco Belge had a bit more sophisticated baffle.
How large of a space is being heated? How well insulated?