What too do with " THIS." .??pictures included .. suggestions opinions needed..!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

harleygirl64

Hearth Supporter
O.k got the 6 inch or 8 inch pipe issue solved.. but now getting down too the nitty griity of things , I'm providing pictures of what i have too work with, will be installing a Harman Mark 2 stove (an older one), first of all the hearth is going to be reworked with a new 50 inch by 48 inch pad , 50 inch is the width as you see in the pictures of what I have now along the wall portion, I'm hoping to be able to use what is already on the walls the granite and mantle I hope to leave like it is.. ( hope n to leave my picture n knick nacks too..?? )all that being said from what i read on here going up thru the roof is the best way to run the stove pipe my questions are these .. I have 31 inches between the wall and the very tip of that ceiling fan blade, what kind of clearance do I need from the wall and do I need some thing else done too the wall above the mantle, or is leaving the dry wall as is going to be enough protection..? any suggestions too on what too do with the area where the gas log fireplace is right now. what should I do with the space there after i pull the gas fireplace,( I really am wanting to leave the gas logs alone except with removing the gas line and maybe cover that area but with what .?? dura rock.. sheetrock..?? what should i do with this area too make it safe as its right behind the stove) also another thought as I may not live here forever and would maybe be taking any wood stove I have in place with me.. and reopening the space with the gas logs and be able to hook it back up too sell the house.. or is none of my thoughts feasible and the best way is too remove the gaslogs and run the pipe out thru the wall..?? thanks again for all the help / suggestions you all have provided me !! including pictures of the chase outside where the gas logs now reside... if i have too run the pipe thru the wall I have a feeling that the chase now present is going too have too be redone .. I really want to go out thru the ceiling /roof.. !!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] What too do with  " THIS." .??pictures included .. suggestions  opinions  needed..!!
    IMG_1268.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 775
  • [Hearth.com] What too do with  " THIS." .??pictures included .. suggestions  opinions  needed..!!
    IMG_1267.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 427
If you use single wall pipe, you need 18" to combustibles, but only 6" if you use double wall. Looking at your setup, I'd go straight up with dbl wall, out though the roof with Class A. I'd leave the gas fireplace as is, just disconnect/remove the gas. Your hearth and clearances will have to be appropriate for whatever stove you select.

And perhaps one thing you haven't considered yet is chimney height. It appears that roof is not too high so you may need quite a bit of insulated pipe and will have to brace it.

Backwoods Savage said:
And perhaps one thing you haven't considered yet is chimney height. It appears that roof is not too high so you may need quite a bit of insulated pipe and will have to brace it.
if i were too go up thru the roof ,the nearest roof line is within 10 feet of where the stove pipe would come out thru the roof.. sooo using the rule i read here i have too have a mininum of 3 foot of stove pipe put up past that roof line.. right..?? any ideas from anyone about what too do with the hole of where the gas logs now reside..??

One thing you are perhaps missing is the fact that you need a 13' chimney. So you can't just say I'll go 3' above the roof line. Without a tall enough chimney you won't get the draft that you need.

How do you keep from sliding off the floor in that room? ;~)

ControlFreak said:
How do you keep from sliding off the floor in that room? ;~)
finally got the picture straighten out..!! lol

Backwoods Savage said:
One thing you are perhaps missing is the fact that you need a 13' chimney. So you can't just say I'll go 3' above the roof line. Without a tall enough chimney you won't get the draft that you need.
o.k i think i missed something here..??? work with me I'm half blond ha ha.. soo if i go straight up thru the roof your saying that when i start at the roof I'll need a 13 foot high chimney..??

You need to go about 2 feet higher than the highest part of that shed roof addition with the clerestory windows.

harleygirl64 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
o.k i think i missed something here..??? work with me I'm half blond ha ha.. soo if i go straight up thru the roof your saying that when i start at the roof I'll need a 13 foot high chimney..??

Not at all. What I am saying is a total of 13' of chimney. Too short of a chimney and you probably won't get enough draft. However, I've seen some mighty short chimneys, but these are the ones where people are cursing their stupid stove because it won't burn right.

Having said that, a lot depends on the surrounding area. We live in the woods and even with all the tall trees around us, we were able to go a bit shorter and have no problems with it, but I'm sure we would have problems if our wood was not so dry as it is (6-7 years in the stack).

Status
Not open for further replies.