What to expect from a burn time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
When it says an 8 to 10 hour burn time, what should I expect at 8 hours, nice heat still or minimal heat but enough coals to throw some wood on and restart? I have had one good 10 hour burn where in the morning probably still 300 degrees but no flames just glowing red coals, but often after about 7 hours in the morning its just a few coals and little heat. I know it will very based on the wood and how much I actually get in there, but what do they mean with burn time at the end of it.

And when it gets too hot and I shut down the control all the way, how long should it take to cool down. I got to 550 and the secondary burn was going full force, I closed it all the way down, but it still took 20 minutes to get under 500. Is that normal? I will replace the door seal soon, do not think its leaking. I have no clue how well that plate under it seals, I bought it used, so that could also be an issue.

Thanks

Its hard to get a real definition of burn time or everyone to agreeon it. That being said a burn time of say 10 hours will be some heat and coles enough to relight the stove. I normally wake up and after 10 to 11 hours my cats reading like 325 pretty much the end of the burn.
As far as your stove temp goes and the time it takes for it to drop. Id say that sounds right. it will take a while for it to drop..

Reactions: cjgoode
The marketing department that wrote that stove brochure wants to give the longest burn time to make their stove look better. So always assume the most liberal definition of burn time.

Then ask actual users for their experiences with that stove but also consider the chimneys, fuel, how hot they are trying to burn it, etc.

@cjgoode what stove are you talking about? So far nothing sounds abnormal. Not sure if the gasket needs replacing.