What size/type fire extinguisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
What size/type fire extinguisher is recommended?

Each of our stoves has a sodium bicarbonate 60B-C extinguisher within 20 feet. Also a 5/8" fire hose connected to a 90 psi hose bib is installed on each level of the house. The fire hoses are able to reach all interior areas of the house. We have a volunteer fire department. They are very very good, but they are not at the fire house. So, following the prudent man rule, we try to have the means to help ourselves until they can get here. The smoke detectors are hard wired interconnected that I installed when we built the house in 1990. Probably better technology on the market these days.

The main thing for us is a careful installation that exceeds the standards established by the stove manuals. On top of that, I examine the first few burns carefully with the IR thermometer.

Fire can be deadly and burn injuries are horrific. In 1969 at Navy OCS, Newport, RI, they put you in a moon suit and sent you into a burning ring of fuel oil. Each had to go in as the nozzle man to knock down the fire. I can still feel the heat through that suit. Surrounded by burning fuel oil made an indelible impression on me. Which I guess was their goal. These days, I am sure outdoor oily black smoke fire fighting training is banned. I hope they still have a way to instill a lasting respect for fire in our sailors. Fire is a killer.

I have 2 ABC's at two different locations near the stove. Not sure of the size, about 16" tall.

Stax said:
Joe...unnecessary. Thank you My Oslo.

Stax, just to jump off track a bit. How much space do u heat with your Lopi and how much wood do you consume each season? I'm curious, thanks.

Oslo...great questions. This will be my first season burning. I'm attempting to heat 1,700 sq. ft (single level ranch) with a moderately open floor plan. I have approximately 3.5 cord of seasoned Ash, Silver Maple & Birch. I got the place up to 76 last night using two small loads. It was 52, damp and periodically raining.

I have two hunter ceiling fans in my living room. I wanted to experiment with heat distribution so I put them in the suggested reverse mode, but I felt a bit of draft as I laid on the couch. Turned 'em off.

Stax said:
Joe...unnecessary. Thank you My Oslo.

Didn't meant to rub you the wrong way, but it was a legitimate question. For instance, are you looking at putting out a chimney fire? I hear there a special "logs" you can put into the stove for that type of situation. But if you meant just as a general purpose extinguisher, then I would probably recommend a dry chemical ABC type. Or maybe you were concerned about oil lighting on fire due to the wood stove if your stove is near/in your kitchen, then that would want to be a K type extinguisher. As to the size, that depends on how large of a fire you are planning on putting out and how much weight you are comfortable handling in a hurry.

Rather than type all of that, I figured I would wait for you to get back with some specifics as to your needs and then I could tailor a response. Glad you got the info you needed.

Joe, brand new to woodburning I was just asking a general question. It was suggested by a senior member here on these forums to make sure you have one. It's all good. I understand your specifics. Guess I'll just pick up an ABC type.

Stax said:
Oslo...great questions. This will be my first season burning. I'm attempting to heat 1,700 sq. ft (single level ranch) with a moderately open floor plan. I have approximately 3.5 cord of seasoned Ash, Silver Maple & Birch. I got the place up to 76 last night using two small loads. It was 52, damp and periodically raining.

I have two hunter ceiling fans in my living room. I wanted to experiment with heat distribution so I put them in the suggested reverse mode, but I felt a bit of draft as I laid on the couch. Turned 'em off.

Ok, I understand. This will be the first of many wood burning seasons for you, great...I'm sure we'll see you ring in here and there.
The ceiling fans will make a difference once you get going. I have a 52" fan in the adjacent room to the stove and when I get to 24/7 burning I leave the fan on low in reverse. It moves just enough warm air to feel and not too much that you get a breeze from it.

Stax said:
Joe, brand new to woodburning I was just asking a general question. It was suggested by a senior member here on these forums to make sure you have one. It's all good. I understand your specifics. Guess I'll just pick up an ABC type.

Did you have one before and you're getting a second or you didn't have an extinguisher at all? I have one that came with the house, but it's kinda small and I'd guess it's from the mid 90's. I'll probably be picking up a more modern one that's a little bigger myself, also an ABC type.

Same here with the old one. Yes, I need a new one and larger myself.

Excellent question. It will be my first season heating with a wood stove as well and I am getting ready to purchase some fire extinguishers. To add to your original question, how many fire extinguishers should one buy? I was thinking 2 for the living room where the stove is and possibly one for each of the occupied bedrooms. Or does it not make sense to purchase one for the bedrooms?

HollowHill said:
Excellent question. It will be my first season heating with a wood stove as well and I am getting ready to purchase some fire extinguishers. To add to your original question, how many fire extinguishers should one buy? I was thinking 2 for the living room where the stove is and possibly one for each of the occupied bedrooms. Or does it not make sense to purchase one for the bedrooms?

Hollow, forgive my initial thought on your bedroom idea, I thought once a fire had made it there it would be time to jump out a window.

HollowHill said:

I don't know as there is any one "right" answer to this. However, consider the following in making your own decision.

A residential fire extinguisher is really only good for putting out rather small fires. Fires tend to grow rather fast once established so if you are going to stay and try to fight a fire (especially with a small residential extinguisher) you had best have it handy - no time to go running half way across the house.

Second point - place the extinguisher(s) where they are most likely to be needed. This would be where fires are likely to start and someone will be when the fire is noticed. For most people this would be the kitchen as for whatever reason, this seems to be where the greatest danger of home fires exist. I don't know what #2 is generically, but look around your own home and your behaviors and you should be able to figure it out somewhat.

I imagine that if you aren't a smoker, and you don't burn candles etc, then you may not have any ignition sources in your bedroom - then again, maybe you do. However, the idea of putting "one for each of the occupied bedrooms" may not be the most prudent as that may not in fact be where fires are most likely to start for you.

For us, I put one in the kitchen, in the hall at the top of the stairs/loft area in the 2nd floor (main throughfare/central location) and another at base of stairs at basement. Then when we added the woodstove I bought a large one to put near the stove (it landed between the kitchen and woodstove) so in case something near the stove caught - and the bonus being that it improved coverage for the kitchen too.

Now my question for the experts who may be reading this - I've heard that the dry chemical extinguishers can "pack down" inside and become useless over time even if the pressure gauge reads in the green. If this is true then how long does this take? Is there any way to know before a real emergency? The obvious followup to this is should I simply replace these after x years?

Stax, if u start burning now u are not going 2 make it the winter on 3.5 cords.Thats if u are burning 24/7.

I also keep one of these around (Thanks BB).
What size/type fire extinguisher?

pen

Bud, we won't be burning 24/7 our first year. I gotta learn the stove and how it will work with our lifestyle.

You can't have too many smoke alarms or extinguishers. Just to add to the locations mentioned, I keep a large extinguisher next to my bed along with a bat to knock out windows to get my kids and a flashlight to see.

Glad you started this topic.

Extinguiher for what?

I have a medium sized one in the kitchen, about 20" tall or so and then a larger one in the garage.

Several smoke detectors in teh house. One in each bedroom and one in the main area living room/kitchen. Plus another in main area that is tied into my house alarm. Also one in the garage that is a heat detector. (Smoke alarm would always go off in there... too much smoke from welding, grinding, etc)

Why do you think that? I heated my house all winter on about 3 cords last year. My place is just slightly smaller than his.... and I bet the heating season is longer here... mid September to around April the stove is running non stop.

budman said:
Stax, if u start burning now u are not going 2 make it the winter on 3.5 cords.Thats if u are burning 24/7.

Stax said:
Bud, we won't be burning 24/7 our first year. I gotta learn the stove and how it will work with our lifestyle.
Trust me once u feel the heat that puppy will be going every day. :lol:

Nate, I'm not really concerned. I've had 3 break in fires over the past week. Ideally, I'd like to have more than 3.5 cord, but that's my supply at the moment. My insurance broker just called me the other day and is offering my two Ash trees that he had just cut down. If I can get them home and split em small, they'll be 4 months in come February. Moisture meter on every piece.

Just a few quick comments. Make sure the fire dept. is called before you start fighting the fire. You want the cavalry coming if the sh.. hits the fan. Make sure everyone is outside, no house is worth a life. Todays fires double in size every minute; know when to fold your hand a get out. If your outside, stay out, people have been killed rushing back in to save.....There is definitely a learning curve to wood burning but common sense, vigilance and respect for the fire demon plus The Hearth Room will insure success. Be safe.
Ed

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Or if you want to spend a little more money . . .

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Honestly . . . while you should be concerned . . . installing your stove to the manufacturer specs or exceeding those specs in terms of clearance/hearth protection/etc., learning how to run your stove properly, checking/cleaning your chimney on a regular basis, making sure your smoke detectors and CO detectors are in working order (powered and not out-dated -- no more than 10 years on the smokes and 3-7 years depending on the brand CO detector) and the real kicker -- disposing of your ashes properly . . . to me these are more important.

It is far easier to prevent a fire than to extinguish a fire.

That said . . . it's good to have an extinguisher or two on hand. Just remember -- 1) These are for small fires -- a fire bigger than you is too big to fight. 2) Don't breathe the smoke in any fire -- stay upwind or below the smoke layer. 3) You get one shot -- if you do not get the fire out, you get out. There are a few other "rules" i teach in my classes . . . but these are the big ones when it comes to using the most common ABC dry chemical extinguisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.