What size of splits for your Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

GG Woody

Sep 17, 2024
Lavington BC
How small do you make your splits for a catalytic stove?
I've been spending some time reading on these forums, seeing many pictures, and it seems like many people split their firewood a bit smaller than I generally do.
I burn almost exclusively Douglas Fir, a bit of Birch, and need to take down a smaller Oak tree in our yard this fall. I will season the oak at least 2 years since it's green and split it smaller.
For years I've cut to 17ish" long (close to bar length my 18" bar, on my most used saw) splits of all sizes, bigger splits are 10" triangles and some rounds I will leave 8" round as they last longer/over night in my non cat stoves.
Are these splits too big for a cat stove? I do leave my wood under a roof and season at least a year, usually more.
I am certainly not concerned, just wondering as I'm stocking up daily for upcoming years, and firewood is on my brain!

I'd say it's fine as long as it's dry in the inside..
10" sounds a lot to get dry in one year - even for Doug fir?

Assuming it's dry, it's a matter of convenience. Split more and be able to maybe get a bit more wood in the stove (b/c you won't be able to stack two 10" splits on top of each other in the firebox) versus split less...

Point is dryness is what matters, the rest is user preference imo.

Mine vary between 4-8". I like variety to play stove Tetris.
But it's mostly oak.

Reactions: GG Woody
I'd say it's fine as long as it's dry in the inside..
10" sounds a lot to get dry in one year - even for Doug fir?

Assuming it's dry, it's a matter of convenience. Split more and be able to maybe get a bit more wood in the stove (b/c you won't be able to stack two 10" splits on top of each other in the firebox) versus split less...

Point is dryness is what matters, the rest is user preference imo.

Mine vary between 4-8". I like variety to play stove Tetris.
But it's mostly oak.
How long do you cut?
Do you split all your rounds?

I've tried large and small, never noticed that it changes the length of my burn time. These stoves are so efficient I don't think it really matters which way you go. I will say though that when I'm using bigger splits, and they are put to the left or right sides of the stove it can leave behind a larger chunk of unburnt material (usually in shoulder months). I assume this is because my stacks usually burn from inside out and as the stove get cooler toward the end of its run it can have a tendency to not be hot enough to burn that last bit in the corner. It's all good though, just put back into center and incinerate it on the next load.

How long do you cut?
17.5" or so

My rounds are almost always more than 1.5 ft diameter. So yes all gets split.

The only thing I do is keep more oddly shaped ones apart to extend a fire until the daily evening reload. I.e. I have some uglies that I use to keep it going for a few hours before a full reload.

And I do save the most perfect rectangular splits for the coldest days as they allow to fill the stove with the least air gaps, having more fuel leading to longer burn times (that are shorter when it's very cold).

I split mine to get a variety of sizes. 8" rounds or big splits as a base and then smaller to pack the fire box full.

How long do you cut?
I split anything about 2.5 or larger. And try to split everything to 6" or less.