What size insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sueiris

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2009
Southern NJ
Hi Everyone,

We're looking into getting a new wood burning insert - motivated by the Tax Credit. We have an old insert, and I found out we will also need a chimney liner.

I wanted to get some feedback regarding the size of stove that would be best for us.

Our home is 1840 sq feet. It is a ranch with a loft & cathedral ceiling. Our Living room where the stove is going is 20' x 17' with a cathedral ceiling. Dining room 11 x 14 - attached to the LR, but no cathedral ceiling - loft is open to the Living room and above the dining room. Hearth is 26" x 76” – it needs replacing or fixing due to cracked tiles - it sit off the floor almost an inch. I’d rather make it the same size than extend it. Bedroom is behind the fireplace.

Our old stove is manufactured by Long MFG in NC. Size is 24 13/16' high, 35 7/8" wide, and 22 1/2" deep. Approx weight 432 lbs.

In the past we have lit the stove in the evening and let it burn out. We have not used it all of the time – the air gets very dry and my skin does also, despite the use of humidifiers.

I like the looks of the Jotul, the Hampton, and some of the Avalons, including the Brown Avalon Ranier, but I think the Rainer is too small. I think I'm leaning towards the Jotul. Am open to other ideas, but think I will stay away from the VC from what I have read here.

We can put a kettle on our old stove. I like that look but am also open to a flush install.

Any suggestions? If we got the Jotul, which model would be best? Other thoughts? Some of the Avalons will stick out too much I think for our hearth size. My husband is leaving it up to me, but of course he doesn't want to spend a mint - the quote I got for the Hampton was $4500, yikes!

Anyway, would appreciate ideas and feedback.

Susan from Mays Landing, NJ

A good dimensional drawing of your fireplace firebox would be helpful along with a picture showing the hearth and mantel. The dimensions for the Jotuls are in the manual downloads on their site. The jotul drawings show the insert sizes along with the minimum sizes for the fireboxes. Many on this site can help you avoid some potential problems but they will need more information to go on. The insert and liner that I installed (photos in signature) was done for around $3000, but it was self installed.

Thanks Rudy, I'll work on a photo, though the old stove is still in place, so I can't get measurements yet, though it is a pretty standard size from looking at it.

Are there advantages to getting a stove like the Avalon since it does stick out? Or can the fans make up for that?

TIA,

Susan

PS Also, any feedback on dealers in my area? I don't mind traveling if the dealers don't. The shop in Medford may not want to come as far as I am ( about 27 miles from them.)

Greetings fellow New Jersian. Do some searches on here. We did a lot of searchin and went with the Napoleon Insert. Extremely happy so far. There is a Napoleon dealer right in Ocean county NJ. Look at their website and get some ideas,,then go to the store and play lets make a deal. My insert doesnt fit flush, thats the way I wanted it. It puts out some serious heat. It is unbelieveable how much info you can get from this site just by searching. Many people on this site have been heating with wood for decades, search them out and ask questions. Hope ya have a good supply of wood ready to go thats been sitting a while. Good luck.

I had trouble finding a decent dealer close to where I live. I traveled quite a bit to find a dealer who was helpful and knowledgeable. There are many different styles and designs and as many people who will tell you reasons why their stove is best. I would say go with what you like and with a company that has a good reputation for building quality products and standing behind them,you should be happy.

Joey said:
Greetings fellow New Jersian. Do some searches on here. We did a lot of searchin and went with the Napoleon Insert. Extremely happy so far. There is a Napoleon dealer right in Ocean county NJ. Look at their website and get some ideas,,then go to the store and play lets make a deal. My insert doesnt fit flush, thats the way I wanted it. It puts out some serious heat. It is unbelieveable how much info you can get from this site just by searching. Many people on this site have been heating with wood for decades, search them out and ask questions. Hope ya have a good supply of wood ready to go thats been sitting a while. Good luck.

I was at the stove store in Vineland and they had some pretty good prices on the Napoleon, but the aesthetic part of me wants something a bit prettier, I'm afraid. Though it may come down to the price in the end. What's the quote? Champagne taste and Beer-bottle budget? sigh.

As far as wood goes, we have a lot. We're up in Weymouth on the fringes of the Pinebarrens, with three acres and have a lot of white and some black oak. The Gypsy moths hit hard two summers ago, and we had to have a bunch of trees taken down last year. My husband isn't the handiest when it comes to building or repairing, but he is a great wood cutter, and loves the wood stove.

Susan

I hear ya Susan. For my taste,,,I wanted the stove that threw the most heat. Looks were secondary for me. The Avalon stoves were also pretty nice that I looked at,,they took logs that were a bit larger,,but I dont think it throws as much heat as I was lookin for. As long as ya look around and research...you will find what your lookin for..enjoy the burning season...

If you are looking at Napoleons they can be priced and purchased online with free shipping. If you do that and are not a do it yourselfer, you can hire a chimney sweep company to do the install and etc. The Osburn stoves can also be bought online, and have a neat, different looking bay window style stove among their designs. Folks on here seem to like them, although apparently they are not as sturdy as some of the more workhorse brands (lopi, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.