What parts do I need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gsauceman

Oct 24, 2019
East Tennessee
Hello everyone, new guy here and got my first wood stove. I know I will need a 90, flue and single wall pipe up to my ceiling. This is where it gets confusing to me. What pieces do I need from the ceiling up? I have little over 9’ ceiling height and a 9/12 pitch shingled roof. My piping will be going through the roof. Several stores in town such as rural king, Tractor supply, Lowes and such but they sell similar but different brand name stuff and I’m not sure if all the brands interchange. I just need to know what to buy so I’m not scrambling around at the last minute needing something that I forgot to buy. Also, any recommendations on which brands to stay away from? I do plan on moving the items near the stove when it comes time to do the install. Thanks for any help you can give.
What parts do I need
What parts do I need

Hello everyone, new guy here and got my first wood stove. I know I will need a 90, flue and single wall pipe up to my ceiling. This is where it gets confusing to me. What pieces do I need from the ceiling up? I have little over 9’ ceiling height and a 9/12 pitch shingled roof. My piping will be going through the roof. Several stores in town such as rural king, Tractor supply, Lowes and such but they sell similar but different brand name stuff and I’m not sure if all the brands interchange. I just need to know what to buy so I’m not scrambling around at the last minute needing something that I forgot to buy. Also, any recommendations on which brands to stay away from? I do plan on moving the items near the stove when it comes time to do the install. Thanks for any help you can give. View attachment 249956View attachment 249957
Installing a wood stove in a garage is against code in the US.

For arguments sake let's just say this is his living room and he parks the truck in there during the winter.

Brands are not interchangeable. Need Class A from ceiling up.

Good brands are Duravent, Ventis; which is what you will find where you are looking.

Will need a "through the roof" kit which has most parts you need.

For arguments sake let's just say this is his living room and he parks the truck in there during the winter.

Brands are not interchangeable. Need Class A from ceiling up.

Good brands are Duravent, Ventis; which is what you will find where you are looking.

Will need a "through the roof" kit which has most parts you need.
You will find duravent and selkirks lower end stuff at the box stores. And it doesn't matter in the least what you call it if you park your car there or if there is gasoline present it is against code to install a solid fuel burner in that space.

You will find duravent and selkirks lower end stuff at the box stores. And it doesn't matter in the least what you call it if you park your car there or if there is gasoline present it is against code to install a solid fuel burner in that space.
I agree. It's a living room.

Reactions: Gsauceman
Reactions: Gsauceman
Apparently no one in Tennessee cares or knows about any code for having a wood burner in a garage or basement. I see them all the time. I have a neighborhood full of basements and garages with wood burners. As far as cheap pipes, the places mentioned is all we have that sales them. I don’t want to be cheap on something that gets hot. Just want to make sure it’s done with the right parts. Thank you to all that was willing to give me information. Wish I could find info on my stove but apparently the company that made the stove shut down.

Apparently no one in Tennessee cares or knows about any code for having a wood burner in a garage or basement. I see them all the time. I have a neighborhood full of basements and garages with wood burners. As far as cheap pipes, the places mentioned is all we have that sales them. I don’t want to be cheap on something that gets hot. Just want to make sure it’s done with the right parts. Thank you to all that was willing to give me information. Wish I could find info on my stove but apparently the company that made the stove shut down.
Nothing wrong with a stove in a basement at all. And yes there are lots of stoves in garages all over including in mine. But you need to be aware that if there ever is a problem and you need to make an insurance claim it will be denied.

As far as the chney pipe goes I would avoid the triple wall stuff otherwise even the cheaper stuff from the box store will be fine for what you need.

I agree. It's a living room.
With a truck in it containing fuel which makes it against code no matter what it's called absolutely no way around it.