What kind of feed system does your stove have? Auger configuration.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

What kind of feed system does your stove/s have?

• I have both.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smoke show

Just throwing it out there.

If you have both, which do you prefer?

This could help people researching pellet heat.

id like to combine both my stoves to make a hybrid. i like the harman burn pot but thats about it. stick it in the cumberland....viola...perfect stove.

The Top feed design is a great design overall. If.... A GIANT IF. If the burnpot has sufficient air coming through the burn pot holes. As long as the air quantity is enough to eject any ash. The system works great and burn pot should stay clean for at least a week (Quad can go a couple).

There are some top feeders that dont have the necessary air and ash can actually fall through the holes of the pot and into the liner. This can "plug" you from underneath. Or the pellets can build up with proper air flow and ash is not ejected. It just sits.

My Bottom feeder is an Old Englander (almost 17 yrs old). Its design has changed greatly from todays same model. My Fathers is an 01 is only 6 yrs newer. But the wear plate is larger and flatter. With only a little angle at the very end. My entire wear plate is on an angle. Still burns well. But if left alone for 12 hrs, it starts to look bad. It will still burn. But to help the flame and efficiency, I will scrape the end chunk of ash of the end.

The new Eco-65 (Euromax) has a burnpot similar to a Harman. Its definitely a stove I am taking great interest in. As it has a Duct kit available also.

Good thread Smoke. Seeing and hearing about different designs helps us all learn more. And possibly gets us some "Study" time on the next model we may purchase.

DexterDay said:
Good thread Smoke.

Sure, Make his head swell. Even a green dude gets lucky once in a while! :cheese: jkjk

Almost as good as your naked burnpot thread dex! :lol:

I see a small train wreck! Shhhh!

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:
Good thread Smoke.

Sure, Make his head swell. Even a green dude gets lucky once in a while! :cheese: jkjk

Almost as good as your naked burnpot thread dex! :lol:

I see a small train wreck! Shhhh!

Ouch!!!!.... :lol:

At least let it hit a few pages... I see it going that far. I didn't see my thread getting that many??? ;-P

Ur lucky im out at the local pub enjoying many pints of frosty relaxation, otherwise I mite get upset...
;-)

smoke show said:
Ur lucky im out at the local pub enjoying many pints of frosty relaxation, otherwise I mite get upset...
;-)

Sure start a thread and then go hang out at a pub! What kind of host is that?

Everyone grab a brew! ;-) On the green dude of coarse!! :cheese:

Oh, I get it. The auger pushes the pellets under the ash so the ash is pushed out over the top of the burn pot. Ingenious. The versa grate by St Croix and pulling the shaker bar every so often solves this in their stoves.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(bottom feed video)

j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
;-)

Sure start a thread and then go hang out at a pub! What kind of host is that?

Everyone grab a brew! ;-) On the green dude of coarse!! :cheese:

Done been had one in hand... Quite a few now. Hangin in the basement. With the woodeater crankin and just fired the furnace up after some pics of the pot and a quick cleaning.

Ummmmmm. Good...... ;-P

The Other one- That is a bottom feed. Just a different type...

Harman, Englander, and Enerzone. All have a visible auger. They feed pellets on a horizontal plane. Which pushes the pellets into the fire (Under Fire / Bottom Feeder).

Here is a pic of my Englander and an Enerzone Euromax pot. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] What kind of feed system does your stove have? Auger configuration.
    index-16.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 432
  • [Hearth.com] What kind of feed system does your stove have? Auger configuration.
    index-3.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 427
top feed and a grate. it can not clog with ash. fill it to the rim if you like it just burns a huge fire and makes 10 times more heat. I think the old Whitfields had the idea of start it and basicly forget it for the rest of week except to fill the hopper.

Dang bro,i like drinking and watching your stove go nucular! But we can't all have the weekend off ;-P have only had top feed,but as long as she chews with her mouth shut,i wouldn't mind either way! ;-P

Lopi Pioneer is a top feeder. Burn pot has many holes and a large ash space underneath so the ash can fall through and not clog things up. The air feed is adjustable so that ash is blown out, not burning pellets and you get the idea. I can get 4days or so when running Genevas until the ash buildup around the pot is too much and it needs to be cleaned. The Trebios require cleaning every two days, much more ash, also will back fill burn pot if run on low too long. This is easy to fix, open door, stir pot with a screwdriver, all the ash falls through and its back in business. I do this once a day or so burning on lower settings due to the mild winter. Stove has a large ashpan so that when it does need cleaning you simply open the door, pull out the dump plate and all the ash can be swept into the pan. Under the pot dumps into ashpan as well when dump plate is pulled. Simple and easy to clean, takes just a few minutes. Burning higher quality pellets would likely stretch the cleaning out for a week. RT

Status
Not open for further replies.