What is this vent tube for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
I’m having a house built right now and this corner is where the stove is going. There’s already a vertical pipe extending through the roof in this exact spot, but I’m unsure of what this pipe is that leads into the crawl space. Any idea? [Hearth.com] What is this vent tube for?

The realtor says it’s “fresh air intake and vents to the crawl space”, which is county code and she has the same thing at her house. I don’t understand how that can be a fresh air intake AND a vent into the crawl space. What would be the purpose of having a fresh air intake in this spot?

It is an intake only, not a vent or an exit pipe. This is for the outside air connection to the stove. It pulls intake air from the crawlspace and must be below the firebox of the stove. If the crawlspace is sealed and insulated, then the crawlspace end must be extended to outside. Regardless, there should be a rodent intrusion prevention screen on the crawlspace open end of this pipe.

Reactions: shredit
Interesting. I plan on putting a blaze king there and my previous blaze king wasn’t connected to an air intake. I’ve never had a stove that was. The stove is going to go on a corner hearth pad facing out towards the center of the living room. So this pipe is supposed to connect to the bottom/back of the stove? Which means it will be protruding from the wall and sticking out towards/wrapping around to the back of the stove? Is this needed?

Yes, there will be a short connector to the stove. Follow the stove manual's instructions for outside air connection.

Interesting. I plan on putting a blaze king there and my previous blaze king wasn’t connected to an air intake. I’ve never had a stove that was. The stove is going to go on a corner hearth pad facing out towards the center of the living room. So this pipe is supposed to connect to the bottom/back of the stove? Which means it will be protruding from the wall and sticking out towards/wrapping around to the back of the stove? Is this needed?
Your house will feel much warmer with that BK hooked to an OAK, trust me..

I have a very similar connection from the crawl space to my blaze king. It works great. My installation would have failed county inspection without this connection.

You say you’re having a house built but this is obviously existing construction. Regardless, you want outside combustion air for the stove if possible.