What is this stove and how do you open it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

charlottemilo

Mar 11, 2024
New Hampshire
We are about to close on a new house up in New Hampshire and can't figure out how to open the stove. The owner passed away, otherwise I would ask him! Any chance someone knows what type of stove this is and what the secret is to getting it open? The handles turn around and around... Thank you in advance.

IMG_1112.jpg

Given the wood is so close to the doors, it might not be a wood burner. If it’s a gas, or even an electric unit, the doors might not open.

As far as I can tell, it's wood burning. I think it's a Superior SP series ZC fireplace, StovePlace classic, model SP-38A. The wood trim should not be there, though it's not the first time I have seen this.
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 4.00.50 PM.png
Here is the manual.

The door latch may have rusted or bonded due to lack of use.

Someone switching to a pellet stove posted this many years back.

Just my opinion but before I thought about burning wood in it I'd have the whole setup checked by a professional. As pointed out having wood trim right on the stove doesn't seem like it would be safe.

Try turning them both down at the same time....maybe?