What is the point in the holes/ Slots in this collar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have that area taped off with aluminum tape so it stays water tight. I'm in a very windy area and had some water leakage before I taped it.

As somebody who owns a pest control company I wouldn't worry about wasps. They're gonna do what they want to do. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to seal every little hole they could get in.

I figured the holes were there to try to keep the opening around the pipe the same size. Too much expansion and contraction could wear through the pipe. But again, the wind blown rain was a bigger worry for me. This spring I had to replace the roof and got to inspect the pipe. No wear issues. Good for at least another decade.

Reactions: Teachme and bholler
That is ventilated flashing. But honestly no one has ever explained to my why some have it. Or why it's an option for others

I have that area taped off with aluminum tape so it stays water tight. I'm in a very windy area and had some water leakage before I taped it.

As somebody who owns a pest control company I wouldn't worry about wasps. They're gonna do what they want to do. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to seal every little hole they could get in.

I figured the holes were there to try to keep the opening around the pipe the same size. Too much expansion and contraction could wear through the pipe. But again, the wind blown rain was a bigger worry for me. This spring I had to replace the roof and got to inspect the pipe. No wear issues. Good for at least another decade.

Remember that when you take measures to keep minimal moisture out, you are also keeping moisture in. That contributes to corrosion, especially inside anything metal.

Reactions: bholler

that was my other concern. I do have a lot of yellow jackets 3 Huge nest atm and one lg black wasp with white ring on its butt atm for nest just in the back yard. They seem to be hard to kill. I do have a "

Mister Duster Mosquito Sprayer Mosquito Fogger​

Backpack Sprayer" what ever you want to call it is there anything you recommend for killing yellow jacks and other wasps as the stuff that takes care of the rest doesn't seem to touch them and these nest are lg.

that was my other concern. I do have a lot of yellow jackets 3 Huge nest atm and one lg black wasp with white ring on its butt atm for nest just in the back yard. They seem to be hard to kill. I do have a "

Mister Duster Mosquito Sprayer Mosquito Fogger​

Backpack Sprayer" what ever you want to call it is there anything you recommend for killing yellow jacks and other wasps as the stuff that takes care of the rest doesn't seem to touch them and these nest are lg.
This late in the year, if the nests aren’t in the walls/basement/attic of your house I’d let them be. They’ll starve within a couple weeks as their food (flowers) go away. That, or a frost will kill them.

This late in the year, if the nests aren’t in the walls/basement/attic of your house I’d let them be. They’ll starve within a couple weeks as their food (flowers) go away. That, or a frost will kill them.
I am hoping for that but for next year or if one of them is to deep to fully die off. any lq additive that's made for them?

They will die off. They don’t store food like a honey bee does.

Reactions: stoveliker