What is the best way to remove these doors in prep for an install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I am hopefully going to have an insert installed. I want to remove these doors. Can you please tell me the best way to remove the frame?

Can't figure out how to load the picture yet.

What is the best way to remove these doors in prep for an install What is the best way to remove these doors in prep for an install

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they are mortared in? Hard to tell from pic. What you putting in there? If the insert will have a surround then maybe just take the doors off. If the frame has to come out just chip it out and patch with mortar if needed.

That is a stone fireplace, no?
If so then the frame for those doors is likely press fit into the stone wall, possibly with screw fasteners. Are there any fasteners in the interior frame, I cannot tell?
If press fit then it should knock out with a hand sledge hitting a piece of 2x4 (to save the brass frame).

To find out how it is attached try hitting the frame lightly with a hammer.
If it sounds tinny then the frame may not be fastened too securely to the stone and should come out with the right amount of directed pressure from the inside.
Good luck and take your time.

That is a stone fireplace, no?
If so then the frame for those doors is likely press fit into the stone wall, possibly with screw fasteners. Are there any fasteners in the interior frame, I cannot tell?
If press fit then it should knock out with a hand sledge hitting a piece of 2x4 (to save the brass frame).

To find out how it is attached try hitting the frame lightly with a hammer.
If it sounds tinny then the frame may not be fastened too securely to the stone and should come out with the right amount of directed pressure from the inside.
Good luck and take your time.
It looks like it is cemented in. I started chiseling out the mortar from inside and then will hopefully tap it out of place. We shall see.

dynamite?

I chiseled the mortar around the inside and started tapping away slowly and the doors are moving out nicely. It was getting late and didn't want to screw up, so I opted to finish next time. The doors should be out tonight and in one piece. Thanks.

Reactions: Squisher
Status
Not open for further replies.