What is the best chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I spent the day insulated chimney liners, I am not 100% happy with the liners I purchased but its a little late now. One liner is FireFlex Smooth Wall 316Ti .013 thick and the other is .006 durvent duraflex 304ss. After working with this I wished I would have done more research. Both seem very easy to kink.

A medium or heavy weight single wall liner is your best bet from what I have read. Mine is rigid single wall but that seems to be less common.

I spent the day insulated chimney liners, I am not 100% happy with the liners I purchased but its a little late now. One liner is FireFlex Smooth Wall 316Ti .013 thick and the other is .006 durvent duraflex 304ss. After working with this I wished I would have done more research. Both seem very easy to kink.
Yeah both are light wall liners and will kink easily. I really don't like the smooth wall stuff

what is a good brand to buy?

These folks sell decent liners. Get it in medium or heavyweight.

Woodland is the only one of those 3 that sells thicker wall liner

Reactions: Jeff Jay
I like Excel

Excel rigid liner is what we had for the old insert before I tore out the fireplace. It was a nice, tough liner. So tough that when we went through an earthquake the chimney top rotated 45º, but was held in place by the liner and the siliconed top cap. :eek: The neighbors' chimney tops collapsed.