What is reasonable price for installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ejraste

Oct 5, 2019
Pittsburgh
Hello,

I want a wood burning stove installed to use as a secondary source of heat. I have cathedral ceilings with no attic, so it should be a pretty simple install to go straight up through the ceiling and roof. If I can get the stove and piping for under $1500, what would a good labor rate be to install it? I had one company quote me at around $7500 for everything(including stove) and that seemed high for me right now. I don't need anything fancy or top of the line. I would just like it to be safe, efficient, and simple. Just something to not waste electric during the winter months. What can anyone recommend.

Hello,

I want a wood burning stove installed to use as a secondary source of heat. I have cathedral ceilings with no attic, so it should be a pretty simple install to go straight up through the ceiling and roof. If I can get the stove and piping for under $1500, what would a good labor rate be to install it? I had one company quote me at around $7500 for everything(including stove) and that seemed high for me right now. I don't need anything fancy or top of the line. I would just like it to be safe, efficient, and simple. Just something to not waste electric during the winter months. What can anyone recommend.
Well it's hard to say. We don't know how high that cathedral ceiling is. We don't know what hearth is needed. We don't know what stove you are considering. They go from $1000 to $4000

Final install price would depend on what stove you purchase, how much hearth you need (either a hearth pad or building from scratch) and how much stove pipe (or chimney liner) you would need.

These were the numbers for my install, which was done in Aug 2019. Stove was $2,300 plus $200 for freight charge to ship from NH to WI. 18 feet of double wall and class A stove pipe plus labor was another $2,500. So a little over $5,000 total including tax and permit fees. I used a local dealer who I've dealt with in the past for the pipe install and the stove was ordered online. I would say a fair install price with all fees including stove purchase plus pipe or liner install should be less than $8,000 for all work, parts and labor. Anything more I would certainly get another quote. Your quote is a bit on the high end but if there's no other dealers or installers in your area then they may be your only option.

Hearth pad costs may or may not be a part of that overall price especially if you are building or buying the hearth requirements on your own.

I started I could buy pipe/chimney parts and the stove for under $1500. I can prob do hearth and heat shield under $500 as well. I wanted to know what just the kabir cost should be. If I can buy all the parts, what would an installer charge for labor. $5000 seems really high to cut a hole in the ceiling/roof

I started I could buy pipe/chimney parts and the stove for under $1500. I can prob do hearth and heat shield under $500 as well. I wanted to know what just the kabir cost should be. If I can buy all the parts, what would an installer charge for labor. $5000 seems really high to cut a hole in the ceiling/roof
What stove, pipe, and chimney pipe were you looking at? And what did their quote contain? $1500 for the stove and venting components is very low.

Duratech was one of the brand's for piping and just a cheaper 500 to 800 wood stove. Englander was one
Ok and what did they quote you?

Ok and what did they quote you?
I have only received one estimated quote. It was a ballpark figure and they didn't specify what stove or materials they would be using(brand name wise). Attached is a picture of the stove that came with the house. If possible, I wanted to keep stove attached to furnace, but replace the piping to make it safe and up to code. Even with going that route, the company said that chimney install is where alot of the money/ labor is so it would still be in the 5k to 6k range. I just think that is rather high, but I could be wrong.
What is reasonable price for installation?

I have only received one estimated quote. It was a ballpark figure and they didn't specify what stove or materials they would be using(brand name wise). Attached is a picture of the stove that came with the house. If possible, I wanted to keep stove attached to furnace, but replace the piping to make it safe and up to code. Even with going that route, the company said that chimney install is where alot of the money/ labor is so it would still be in the 5k to 6k range. I just think that is rather high, but I could be wrong. View attachment 259383
Why not line the chimney you have? If you want it hooked into the furnace you will need a wood furnace not a woodstove.

Why not line the chimney you have? If you want it hooked into the furnace you will need a wood furnace not a woodstove.
From getting my current system inspected, it is not safe to use and the chimney would need replaced. I have electric heat pump for my heating and from the picture I attached, the wood stove would be tied into the ductwork.

From getting my current system inspected, it is not safe to use and the chimney would need replaced. I have electric heat pump for my heating and from the picture I attached, the wood stove would be tied into the ductwork.
Is it currently a masonry chimney or a prefab metal one? Is this located in a utility room or is that a basement?

Is it currently a masonry chimney or a prefab metal one? Is this located in a utility room or is that a basement?
It is a metal pre fab that was installed up the side of the house. The stove is in basement, and sits far enough away from any combustibles.

It is a metal pre fab that was installed up the side of the house. The stove is in basement, and sits far enough away from any combustibles.
Ok is the stove going in the same location? If so that is not just straight up through a cathedral ceiling as you first indicated. It would either mean going out and up again. Which would mean an expensive tee. Or up through the floor building a chase then through the ceiling

Ok is the stove going in the same location? If so that is not just straight up through a cathedral ceiling as you first indicated. It would either mean going out and up again. Which would mean an expensive tee. Or up through the floor building a chase then through the ceiling
Im sorry I didn't specify the reason for wanting a new setup. I have a setup in basement, which is the picture I attached. Inspection came back and said the piping was deficient and needed replaced in order to use. Ideally, I would just like to keep the stove and change piping out , but company I contacted said they could do a new stove in different location for 7k to 8k, or new chimney and piping with original stove for 5k to 6k. I thought the estimate for just a new chimney was pretty high.

Im sorry I didn't specify the reason for wanting a new setup. I have a setup in basement, which is the picture I attached. Inspection came back and said the piping was deficient and needed replaced in order to use. Ideally, I would just like to keep the stove and change piping out , but company I contacted said they could do a new stove in different location for 7k to 8k, or new chimney and piping with original stove for 5k to 6k. I thought the estimate for just a new chimney was pretty high.
It does sound high

Is there anywhere upstairs you think a wood stove would work well? From the limited info if it were me I would abandon that old setup and get a stove in the living space.

Is there anywhere upstairs you think a wood stove would work well? From the limited info if it were me I would abandon that old setup and get a stove in the living space.
Yeah, I do have a spot to fit in living room. I have cathedral ceiling and from floor to ceiling it would be like 10 to 12 feet. Then there is about a foot between ceiling and shingles on roof. I guess I just will have to keep getting some quotes. I would like to spend 5k or less on complete setup, as it is my secondary source of heating.