What is everyone doing this year ahead of the cold to improve your wood heat comfort this year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gtautomation

I have been thru a few different stoves and figured out that here in Kentucky I need a big firebox for long burns so I’ve settled on Pacific Energy stoves. Had osburn, lopi and buck stoves but non quite did what the house needed. The heat pump does just fine heating almost 4000sqft but I start fires when it gets into the low 40s or 30s. I’m always evolving the setup to make things better. I work nights and have used the nest thermostat on the heat pump and some inkbird temp controllers to track temps while I’m away. I have multiple temp/humidity displays around the house that I keep an eye on while I’m at home.

This year I’m putting in a new fan system to move more heat out to the farthest reaches of the house since it’s a large walk out ranch style home. Small vornado fans and such just wasn’t doing what I needed. Every home is different and heat flows thru them differently also. When I was burning in the basement everyone says move the cold air towards the stove. My situation worked best by blowing the hot air up to the main floor. It’s hard to put convective loops in to a fully finished basement but the stairs are wide open. Now that the woodstoves are not going anywhere the wife asked that the bedrooms be a little warmer which are at the far end of the house. I mainly burn a PE summit on the main floor for most of the heat thru the winter. I’m going to pull air from the stove room and run thru insulated duct in the attic to the three farthest bedrooms. I’ll have a thermostat in the master bedroom to control fan on/off. A inkbird temp controller will read if there is heat in the stove room not allowing the fan to come on if not warm enough. The fan will push around 200cfm per register into each large bedroom. The grill for the system will not be very close to the stove since it’s at opposite end of the stove room and in the vaulted ceiling up high. With doing R-8 insulted duct and will throw extra blown in over it I think she should be happy.

I owned and ran a Hvac business for years so the air movement and static pressure and such is right in my wheel house. I’m going to be using a greenheck insulated fan with speed controller to set the air flow since I know I may have to dial it down if the Mrs says she hears too much air movement. Will try to keep the velocity low enough thru the grills to keep her happy.

What are you guys doing this year?

Reactions: torpesco
Having seasoned firewood !! I just 5 cords of wood that been seasoning for 2 years, so I am ready for the fall and winter. This year I will be burning 24/7 my stove will not be off and on this year !

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jebb and stoveliker
Working on wood supply. Set for this winter but the following winter is looking really cold and/or expensive if I don’t haul in the next several months.

Insulation wherever I can fit it. Also this year I repaired/rebuilt a lot of my storm windows and re glazed and caulked a ton of glass, should help. I also bought some of those cellular shade blinds that go behind my curtains for my picture windows in the great room.

Reactions: Itslay90