What is a Full Load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lmmatta

Dec 10, 2020
Maryland
This may be a silly question but I have seen reference to "full load" am unsure what that means. I have a Clydesdale and I typically load it with 3-4 pieces of wood and let that burn down and then reload often with 1 or 2 pieces at a time. I seem to be constantly loading. Should I be filling box with as much wood as I can?

It depends on the stove and the room in the firebox. In the Clydesdale a full load would be to the top of the stones.

Reactions: Lmmatta
I would say it mostlly based on the heat required. You may get more burn time out of a stuffed fire box. But you need to control the burn with the air control and it will burn hotter.

I would say a full load will also depend on your temperatures you are wanting. I know with my stove and home stuffing the box full at 40 degrees outside would result in me having to open windows. Here when its in the 40's I feed the stove a few splits at a time let it burn down and reload when it starts cooling off inside. We have only had a few what I would consider cold days this year and on those days I packed the stove and let her rip. When bed time comes I get the stove cruising with enough wood for the night and go to bed.

A full load is a full load. Just like a full gas tank in your car. You can't put anymore in. My hearthstone heritage was regularly filled tightly up to and against the tubes on the firebox roof in order to burn through the night. I fill my blaze king the same way, to the roof.

Some stoves, in their manuals, will recommend that you fill no higher than the top of the interior fire bricks. If your owner's manual has a limitation such as this then that would be your "full" line.

This has nothing to do with your house, climate, or heat output desires. Full means full.

Some have noted that they do not get a longer burn by loading right up against the tubes. And some manuals advise against this. It's good advice if there is a chance of inadvertently bumping against a fragile baffle board with a split.

Reactions: Lmmatta
Oh yes, I broke one baffle board on that heritage. Definitely a hazard when trying for a full load.