What do you call this thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
And how to I estimate its heat output? It is 4' long and looks to contain 4 sections of 1/2" copper in parallel with fins between them... fin section is 2" tall and 8" wide. It says KRAMER and 848

What do you call this thing? What do you call this thing? What do you call this thing? What do you call this thing?

That is an industrial sized base board heater / unit heater. Reminds me of something you would see in an office building foyer, library, military base, etc.

How much BTU capability.....a whole bunch I bet.

I think they are called "sunvectors"
But not totally sure.
I have 2 of those in my basement.
They are tied into the "monoflow" piping that has thinner and smaller versions of those all around the first floor.
The first floor ones are totally recessed into the wall framing.
The only thing that blocks the heat from radiating outside is the sheet metal, the 3/4" sheathing and the vinyl siding<><>
Can't imagine why I burned so much oil and now so much wood;sick
Not to mention that the house was built in '51 and has NO insulation in the walls.

With 180* water it will probably do an honest 6-8,000 btu. It will figure out about the same as the equivalent length of baseboard or roughly 16' in your case.

Reactions: Elusive
They are called cab heaters. They are supposed to be covered in metal to induce convection.

That is a CONVECTOR. The sheet metal is to make a chimney effect (convection) from the finned tube in the bottom.

*A unit heater has a fan for forced air movement
*Sunvector I think is a brand (like Sunray cast iron baseboard)
*Never heard them called a cab heater, I thought those were in trucks?

My parents house is full of those finned tube CONVECTORS, it was retrofitted with a mono-flow system and the convectors in the late 30's. They work well. I prefer Cast Iron radiators though.

TS

Ahhhh there is the magic word.... thanks! It's hard to Google things if you don't know what they're called.

Based on the literature for a comparable model the 6,000-8,000 BTH/hr @ 180 estimate is right on the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.