What diameter rounds are too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
What is the largest diameter rounds that you put in your stove without splitting? 3",4",5",6"?

3.9627" A ten-thousandth over that, they get split. Rick

If I knew it was well seasoned several years I would be happy to go 6" or up, but typically I split anything round over 4" so it will dry out faster.

fossil said:

Is the 3.9627 with or without bark? haha

9". That is why I bought a stove with a big square firebox and a big door.

The last one. I tried to get my nighter, it lacked about 1/2 inch of making it, but it was about 12" ish. I almost went in the door of the BKK, a couple whacks with the ax and tadah!!

9". Not braggin, just fact.

6 inches or more . . . but only on the overnights . . . most of the round I've split for faster seasoning . . . which means usually my overnight wood are larger splits rather than larger rounds.

Well, I suppose I could go 9" but then my new stove wouldn't have room for the companion next to it.

Alternatively, I could go for the 9" rounds, cut them 9" long & put two side by side NS :lol:

There are some disadvantages to a smaller firebox. Fortunately, I don't have to burn overnight :coolsmile:

I can go 10" but I have a furnace. The old furnace could have taken 12" rounds. I had to resplit my rounds because the new furnace doesn't need all rounds. Its akward trying to put large rounds in a 3.5 cu ft firebox, so I split all of them down. 6" is about right for my furnace now.

Probably about 6-7". Any bigger and I'd split it...can't really say why, just the way I've done it. If it's a big round, say 14-16"+ and straight grain, I might split 4 semi circle pieces off the circumference to leave a nice square / rectangle still 10-12" per side. Put that monster in the stove and pack a couple other pieces around and that is an all-nighter for those bitter cold nights.

4" - 5" is about the largest we use now. We used to use larger logs with the old stove but our present stove has a smaller firebox. The firebox size really determines how large of a log you should use.

Try as I may, I have not figured out how to get these rounds into the big box. :ahhh: So I would put the limit at about 8" for what we use.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] What diameter rounds are too big?
    fir_pile.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 552
fossil said:
Fossil,

Your crazy man, I never go over 3.750 Ø ....How are you able to keep the temp high enough with 3.9627...? :mad: (No secondaries I'll bet)

I will keep some 8 in rounds for the long burns. Yea they take longer to season but I leave them for 2-3 years anyway so they will be dry. Those are not oak rounds, maple, ash, cherry etc. Oak gets split.

carinya said:
Alternatively, I could go for the 9" rounds, cut them 9" long & put two side by side NS :lol:
There are some disadvantages to a smaller firebox.

I have the same stove...You can fit 12" long wood N/S just make the botton row E/W with two big splits then three or four nice 12 inchers on top.

If it fits through the round hole in the top, it doesn't get split. And sometimes I use them for all-dayers too.

bluefrier said:
carinya said:
There are some disadvantages to a smaller firebox.

I have the same stove...You can fit 12" long wood N/S just make the botton row E/W with two big splits then three or four nice 12 inchers on top.

Thanks for the advice, Bluefrier. I think I'm going to need some creative help with this nice new stove with the big viewing window. It's like having an open fire - just not a lot of depth.

I split just about everything. If I can stand a round on an end then I'll split it. I don't save rounds for a longer burn or whatever. I have splits that are bigger than 8 inch rounds, so what's the point of keeping an 8 inch round? Only other exception is weird shaped stuff that may have a wye in it or strange bend.

My Quad loves big pinon rounds, two at a time. The biggest it will take is a couple of 6.5".

stihltheone said:
The last one. I tried to get my nighter, it lacked about 1/2 inch of making it, but it was about 12" ish. I almost went in the door of the BKK, a couple whacks with the ax and tadah!!

Man, I was thinking 6 inches would be large enough for an all-nighter guess I was wrong.haha

If I can pick up the split by the end with one hand it is small enough. Anything bigger gets split until I can grab it by the end.

I also don't shoot for all-nighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.