what constitutes smoldering?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I'm new to the game and learning how to use my Fireview. I know that a lot of times you want a nice low burn (with the air control at, say, .5), and I gather it's not uncommon at such low settings not to see any flame. I also know that smoldering is bad because it causes creosote buildup.

So, here's the question: Where is the line between a low burn and a smolder? How do you tell? Do you go by temperature, by some kind of visual indication?

I'm sure it makes a difference whether your wood is fully seasoned, but let's assume the wood is at 20% or better.

I consider a smouldering fire one that there is no visible flame or redness in the coals but the cat is bright red. You can burn like this but it's pretty boring if you ask me and I've had times where the stove top temps can go over 700 if you hit it just right. I like to keep just a little red in the coals or sometimes just the top front split will burn first and move on to the lower then the back splits.

Watching a cat stove burn is like watching your heat pump running. Boring. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Watching a cat stove burn is like watching your heat pump running. Boring. :lol:

Hey, now...

...and you're a moderator!

^^^ yes He is ,and He's also correct :)

Smoldering is OK if your cat is lit. It is the fuel for the catalyst which will cause it to glow brighter. My stove is plate steel and can get away with a higher stove top temp above the cat. Yes you will get creosote in your stove but not down stream of the cat if it is operating correctly and the bypass is obviously closed. God help us if us cat owners were to have a stove Fire!!! :gulp: Keep your wood dry and enjoy the control you have in the shoulder seasons. It will show you the light when it gets colder out. All will clear up in that stove of yours.

Go outside and look for smoke to get a visual indication. The cat should be burning it. Smoke = smolder.

north of 60 said:
Smoldering is OK if your cat is lit. It is the fuel for the catalyst which will cause it to glow brighter. My stove is plate steel and can get away with a higher stove top temp above the cat. Yes you will get creosote in your stove but not down stream of the cat if it is operating correctly and the bypass is obviously closed. God help us if us cat owners were to have a stove Fire!!! :gulp: Keep your wood dry and enjoy the control you have in the shoulder seasons. It will show you the light when it gets colder out. All will clear up in that stove of yours.
That first sentence is key. IF the cat is lit. I used to have a heck of a time with my old VC cat lighting off just fine, but then "going out" after a short while, especially if the cat element was more than 2-3 years old. This happened even with a 500F+ stovetop. Since I didn't run a probe thermometer in the gases exiting the cat (my bad!), it was a bit of a guessing game. I'd go outside and see a giant plume of dark smoke billowing from my chimney, and realize that the cat had gone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.