What chimney do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the manufacturer of this galvanized (?) chimney. Is it Class A, capable of venting a wood stove? It's 8" inner diameter, currently venting a gas log set. It's only 5' tall. Ideally, I'd like to attach another 5' section and be on my way, but I know these things are never that simple!

thank you!

What chimney do I have? What chimney do I have? What chimney do I have?

Can't help you with the chimney type, but you might want to consider installing flashing while you're up there.

Is it insulated or air cooled? What are the gas logs is that you plan on venting through with a wood stove?

Is it insulated or air cooled? What are the gas logs is that you plan on venting through with a wood stove?
I should have been more clear. There are gas logs there currently. I want to remove them and install a wood stove.

I *think* it's air cooled. I'll have to go back up there and check after the snow melts.

thank you

I should have been more clear. There are gas logs there currently. I want to remove them and install a wood stove.

I *think* it's air cooled. I'll have to go back up there and check after the snow melts.

thank you
Yes I got that but what is the gas log set in? If it is just air cooled with no insulation it should not be used for a wood stove

Yes I got that but what is the gas log set in? If it is just air cooled with no insulation it should not be used for a wood stove
The gas logs are set in a free standing stove that connects to 8" single wall.

Ok that is a freestanding fireplace from the 70s. The chimney is probably not suitable for a wood stove.

Ok that is a freestanding fireplace from the 70s. The chimney is probably not suitable for a wood stove.
I was afraid that might be the answer. I guess I'll have to budget for all new pipe.

I appreciate the quick responses. Best forum around!