What causes the occaisional *POP* from burning wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I've always assumed it is moisture rapidly expanding, or maybe a volatile spot of sap. Or maybe a juicy bug.

I just had a pop throw chunks up against the glass. So what is it?!?!??!?! ;)

You burning tulup wood by any chance!

Could be a number of things.
Different woods do different things , some pop , some snap , some throw sparks ........

I know when oxygen is introduced to a hot coal bed this will happen. Probably the expansion of the gasses in the coals.

Try bamboo for a more spectacular show! (Bring a fire extinguisher though, just in case). I assume its volatiles in the wood heating up till the pressure exceeds the strength of the wooden 'container'.

I always thought it was gum/resin/pitch pockets. Moisture might do it also, if well contained, but I know that even bone-dry mulberry or pine will pop. Indeed, mulberry coals will often pop when raked.

moisture turning into gas, building up within a "pocket" and then breaking the tinsel strength of the surrounding matter and "POP"

Status
Not open for further replies.