What burned my floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spencerwest

Feb 2, 2020
Sierra Nevada's
Well we are currently redoing the rock around our stove which is a Whitfield advantage 2 insert. When I pulled the fake hearth stones up i saw this large burn spot underneath them right in the center. There is a mortar joint right in the center as well We bought this house a few years ago and it has always had the pellet stove. I can't imagine the pellet stove is putting out this much heat below it? It sits on a 5" pedestal on 1.5" fake hearth stones. The burn spot is directly beneath the burn pot area of the pellet stove.

Is it more likely that a log rolled out on the previous owner prior to the pellet stove and somehow an ember got through the mortar? More than anything I want to make sure it's safe to put the Whitfield back in. Thanks!

Attachments

• What burned my floor?
    IMG_20200201_124156.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 121
  • What burned my floor?
    IMG_20200201_124206.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 129
Maybe at some point in the past there was a wood stove there with inadequate hearth protection? Stone is not a good insulator, more of a conductor. Was there cementboard between the stone and the plywood? There should be.

We will never know how or why it burnt !!
What you need to know is how to protect it
so you do not have it happen again!! :)

Exactly!! I'm concerned about putting it back the way it was. So what do I need to put between the subfloor and the pellet stove?

There was no cement board before so I assume that would be one thing I need to add. Is that enough of a fireproof insulator or does there need to be something else to prevent excess heat from transferring to the subfloor?

Interesting that stone is a conductor and not an insulator which now makes sense since you mentioned it. What is the correct way?

I know it's annoying to have a new guy ask a question that's been answered, so while I'm searching if you can point me to an article or post that'd be great, thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks! I had literally just downloaded that after reading an article on here about hearths. It seems that is all I need and with several inches of air clearance, I should be safe. That is what they had before minus the board but according to the manual the stone is all that is necassary. So I would assume the burn happened prior to the pellet stove. Either way I will certainly install the cement board with rock on top and feel confident in that. Unless others have more to say, thank you very much for your help!

Ps. I think I will start a thread about cleaning the stove up while it is out. It hasn't seen any good maintenance in a long time. Here is a preview.

Attachments

• What burned my floor?
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200201202935908.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 107