What are my options?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bskelding

Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2009
Northwest Ohio
Good morning. We recently purchased a home with a zero clearance fireplace. Seeing as this is extremely inefficient we would like to improve upon this and add an air tight insert or wood stove. This is a non-masonary fireplace and currently has double wall pipe; I believe I will need to upgarde this to triple wall per code. I have been looking at new inserts from manufacturers such as Osburn, Napoleon and Vermont Castings as well as used units from Grizzly and Avalon.

As I am new to this I have a number of questions:

1) My existing zero clearance unit will not accomodate some of the used units or larger new ones ( The Z.C is approx 20" W @ the rear and 15" deep). Is it possible to remove the zero clearance unit and only install an insert into the rough opening? The gentleman that owns the grizzly said this is acceptable as long as it is 1" from combustible material (Doesn't seem quite right...) I can tell that there is probably an additonal 6 - 8" behind the Z.C unit and on the sides.

1b) If the above is possible, would I need to line the rough opening with fire brick or other material prior? Would other work be requried?

2) Is it possible to transition from a wood burning fireplace to a wood stove? If so, what would this require? Would the stove sit inside the rough opening? Would it sit on the hearth with an additional pipe run to connect to the chimney?

3) I have heard that wood stoves give off considerably more heat. How does this compare to a good air tight insert with a blower? (I know this is probably subjective)

4) Is there any concern with obtaining a used air tight insert for my Z.C unit?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the feedback / guidance. If anyone cares to chime in on the brands I've listed above I would be happy to hear their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.