Wet Wood=Dirty Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Up until last week both stoves I have used have experienced exceptionally clean glass day after day after day. Even the Elm which really doesn't have an airwash system was saying crystal clear. Then I got low on wood and in an effort to conserve, I went out the pile that was down to scraps on the ground. Started experiencing sooted glass everyday. Today I used some wood that was on the front porch for about 4yrs and was nice and dry. Walla! Glass is running clean again. Also the secondary air system was working fantastic. Moral here ( I realize its preached here everyday) is, dry wood = clean glass and better over all experience with your stove.
Saw a post yesterday about a Fireview, glass was all dirty. Some of that may have been a smoldered fire, but some may have been wet wood too.

You are very right about the wet wood. Poor fuel is the cause of most problems with wood stoves.

I highly doubt that would have been from smoldering fires in that Fireview. The cat takes care of those type fires very well.....as long as the wood is dry.

AMAZING
Once again, dry wood to the rescue.
Seems to happen allot,
75% + of wood stove issues, seems to be able to traced to the wood.
I tell myself now, when having stove problems : "It's the wood stupid" & am usually right.

Great post

I'm getting through my first year with this stove, and scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as wood goes. The wood I'm trying to eke out the winter with has some green wood mixed in, and I get dirty glass with it. The thing I tell myself is that if that's what the glass looks like, that's what the chimney looks like, too. Just trying to make sure I at least do a hot run-up fire once a day.

You've got an Elm? Those sure are pretty stoves!

Woodstove: $2,500.
Chimney: $1,200.
Processing firewood: $1,600.
Gloves: $15.
Stove thermometers: $30.
Chimney Brush and poles: $30.

Running the stove hot enough with well seasoned wood and not having to clean off the thick, black soot on the glass or deal with buckets full of creosote at the end of the burning season: Priceless.

For everyone else there is Mastercard . . . which is what you'll need to pay for the oil bill. :)

Incidentally . . . pretty sure the word you were looking for was "voila" with the little accent above the "a".

firefighterjake said:
Priceless.

We get those Mastercard adverts here too!
Nice play on words, good way of remembering the importance of well seasoned wood.

Had quite a bit of black glass during the fall shoulder season - I've learned to burn much smaller, hotter fires and I've not seen the same build up with warmer temps this spring. This year's wood was good - ~ 10-12 month seasoned ash and cherry. Next year, I'll be burning 2.5 year seasoned mix of red maple, ash, red oak, cherry, yellow and black birch, etc. Can't wait - should be awesome. After that, nothing less than 3-4 year seasoned - easy burning. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.