welcome suggestions for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
HI, I would like some advice to heat this apartment, central, in a building. Considering minimum winter temperature is 14 F, about. Not insulated. Maximum flue length, it can be 20 feet. I can find here in Italy PE, BK, Regency, Jotul, True North, Vermont.
I had thought of an F2450 or Summit. Alderea, or any catalytic is priced like a small car, here.
Or also Jotul price is good.

Thank you
welcome suggestions for wood stove

The stove will heat the core area the most. The doors and partitions will block off a lot of convected heat to the kitchen and the rooms at the top of the drawing. That probably means a smaller stove in the 1.5 cu ft range unless a system to move the heat is installed. Will this be primary or supplemental heat?

Reactions: Prometeo
The stove will heat the core area the most. The doors and partitions will block off a lot of convected heat to the kitchen and the rooms at the top of the drawing. That probably means a smaller stove in the 1.5 cu ft range unless a system to move the heat is installed. Will this be primary or supplemental heat?
Thank you very much, effectively, I also planned a unit heat pump, ductable from 18000 btu to be positioned (internal unit) Exactly, in the corridor above the stove, and from there air channels will depart to the various chambers. However I don't always want to use both systems, i thought that when not too cold only the wood stove would work, but I have to forget this then ?

No, I wouldn't forget it. The heat pump is good. A high-efficiency heat pump will cover a lot of the heating load, but the stove will be nice to keep the core cozy and for power outages if they happen in the area. On very cold days run them both. A Pacific Energy Vista or Jotul F305 or F400 would be the right size. You could go up to the PE Super if fans were used to distribute the heat into the other rooms.

No, I wouldn't forget it. The heat pump is good. A high-efficiency heat pump will cover a lot of the heating load, but the stove will be nice to keep the core cozy and for power outages if they happen in the area. On very cold days run them both. A Pacific Energy Vista or Jotul F305 or F400 would be the right size. You could go up to the PE Super if fans were used to distribute the heat into the other rooms.
👍
Regarding PE there is a reseller, while F 35 I have to ask the seller who gave me F 500 if it is possible to order, because on the Italian Jotul site, there is no F 35 - 45 - 55 I don't understand why. A larger product is therefore not recommended, why? F 305 respect Vista on site cfpub.epa.gov has more than double btu, are they real data to consider or not?
Thanks

The F35, F45 are made in the US. They may not be exported?
The F305 is not sold in the US, so not in the EPA database. Did you mean the F35? Unfortunately, the F35 was tested with cordwood and the Vista was tested with softwood. Different testing altogether. That makes things confusing. The Jotul F305 is sold in Italy. It is a radiant stove like the F400. The Vista is more convective in nature. There is an Alderlea T4 which has the Vista firebox in a cast iron jacket.

Last edited:
The F35, F45 are made in the US. They may not be exported?
The F305 is a radiant stove like the F400. The Vista is more convective in nature. There is an Alderlea T4 which has the Vista firebox in a cast iron jacket.
I have to ask about these Jotul.
If I take an oversized stove will I have heat in distant rooms or does it make no sense?

If I take an oversized stove will I have heat in distant rooms or does it make no sense?
The area is not large. I would stick with convective stove options for better heat distribution. A ceiling fan in the stove room would help too.

You also mentioned that you can get a BK stove. These are thermostatically regulated and some are convective heaters.

You also mentioned that you can get a BK stove. These are thermostatically regulated and some are convective heaters.
yes, BK too. Does one of these, catalytics, always want an insulated flue, like Regency? Or BK does not require ? Is 20 feet chimney height sufficient to allow a normal draught, having a catalyst?

yes, BK too. Does one of these, catalytics, always want an insulated flue, like Regency? Or BK does not require ? Is 20 feet chimney height sufficient to allow a normal draught, having a catalyst?
Any modern stoves should have an insulated flue. And yes 20' is fine for any modern stove