Weird pellet need...low ash but only "Medium ish" heat..ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatt66

Dec 1, 2013
NH
Hello...long time lurker, first time poster. I have a cheap-a** Tractor Supply US stove 5500m. Has been great so far. My Dilemma: my house is smallish so when i run good pellets like barefoots and cubex it totally cooks me out. I have my stove on low and the auger turned down to as low as 1.2..which is super slow.

but me/my stove hates big box pellets. because it never comes off low (only variations of auger speeds below the default low) it can get a pretty ugly burn pot after a couple days with green supreme/TSC flavor of the week type stuff.

is there a really clean burning low ash pellet that doesnt have that killer blast of heat?

if i have to i'll mix but...what a pain.

I probably am burning what you want right now BUT I'm in Minnesnowta don't cha know. Maybe get a nice smaller stove:) instead of that big barn heater.

I probably am burning what you want right now BUT I'm in Minnesnowta don't cha know. Maybe get a nice smaller stove:) instead of that big barn heater.

yeah..i hear that. we rent and we plan to leave the stove and new to pellets so we didnt want to go all out. i think i'll try the energex blend again. problem being they are tiny pellets so they fill the auger very well and can get super warm too.

huh ? therms turn your stove on and off on auto/off setting and down to low on hi/low . does your stove have an auto/off setting ?

stolen from Smokey the Bear on this very forum.
That stove runs in high/low mode IIRC.

Which means you set the maximum firing rate at the controls and then the thermostat will fire at that rate until set point and then the stove is returned to maintain fire mode (the lowest firing rate).

Depending on how long you stay there you may be warm but you probably wont get a payback on the stove install. Some stoves idle very high btu output. I have an old stove that is 2k btu more than my normal use. New stove is 8k and my normal need is about 13k. Thank you Harman for smart temperature control keeping things at a nice steady toasty 71

huh ? therms turn your stove on and off on auto/off setting and down to low on hi/low . does your stove have an auto/off setting ?
not all stoves do on/off.
my last stove was a constant run and actually could not handle pure hard wood pellets. it was always bumping limit. so I started using a blend. "curan" I think was the brand. they were decent. northern is another brand. have you tried soft pellets and mixing in some cherry pits or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.