Weather affecting burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadcalm

Hearth Supporter
I don't know if anyone else has noticed similar effects, but I've found that on some days, neither my woodburner, nor the cooking range want to behave themselves in that they're difficult to get started, and sluggish to run.

I wonder if this may have something to do with either atmospheric pressure, weather conditions, or both. I've tried to see if there's a pattern, but one isn't obvious. Some days when it's drizzly and misty, this phenomenon occurs, and other days when it's bright and sunny, the same thing happens. High or low pressure, and wind strength may be criteria, but I can't pinpoint either as being a cause. I guess that like humans, woodburners have their off-days...

A couple other threads are discussing the fact that during very cold weather, it can be difficult to establish a draft in certain chimneys. This is why, if I am starting a cold stove, I use a lot of newspaper, and or cardboard. Newspaper I ball up, and fill half the stove 30 or more sheets. Cardboard I roll tightly, fold inhalf and put on top of paper. This creates enough fast heat to get a good draft going.

Dune said:
A couple other threads are discussing the fact that during very cold weather, it can be difficult to establish a draft in certain chimneys. This is why, if I am starting a cold stove, I use a lot of newspaper, and or cardboard. Newspaper I ball up, and fill half the stove 30 or more sheets. Cardboard I roll tightly, fold inhalf and put on top of paper. This creates enough fast heat to get a good draft going.

30 sheets? Wow! I only use 3 or 4.

You will notice that you'll get more draft when it's cold (below freezing) vs when it's warmer. My stove can be a royal pain if the house has a bit of a chill in it and the outside air temp is above 40 degrees.

ControlFreak said:
You will notice that you'll get more draft when it's cold (below freezing) vs when it's warmer. My stove can be a royal pain if the house has a bit of a chill in it and the outside air temp is above 40 degrees.
+1 Same here especially if it is real damp out or raining.

Cascade Failure said:
Dune said:

30 sheets? Wow! I only use 3 or 4.

My chimney is only 12 feet from where to stove pipe enters.

Deadcalm,

I am an expert on weather-related woodstove issues. I'll be glad to come and study your stove issues for 2-3 weeks...please prepare the guest room for my wife and me.

Milder weather will reduce draft, especially during a low pressure event. If the chimney is external, cold weather can make the stove balky to start until the flue is warmed up and starts drawing. If this is a massive stone chimney, it can take a while and an insulated liner may be needed to remedy.

ControlFreak said:
That's about the way mine works. When it is cold and I open the primary and secondary it sounds like a jet in my living room. Dave.

Indeed weather does make a tremendous difference in how the stove operates. The biggest difference we've always noticed is just before a storm front (low pressure) moves in. The fire will be sluggish then but as soon as the front moves all is well.

Have you ever noticed how just before a storm smoke will tend to stay low or even come down to the ground? How about when the smoke just goes straight up? This will tell you a lot about what is going to happen. I noticed today as I was driving down the road a lot of smoke just hanging down almost to ground level. Sure enough, there is a storm about to move in.

I also noticed last night that my smoke from the chimney was holding down.

I have about 25' of 6" lined chimney. The colder it is, the better it runs. That said, I'm still not looking forward to any single digit or below zero.

Thanks for all the comments, there doesn't seem, for all that, to be any hard and fast rules. As I said, I'm convinced these woodburners have minds of their own, and lurk and conspire behind our backs to play up when we're not looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.