WD40 Flue Lever?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Reiman

Nov 5, 2012
How often you guys WD40 your flue lever? I have had a Hearthstone Phoenix for over 15 yrs and the lever always seemed stiff to move. This year I gave it a shot of WD40 and now it is kind of loose feeling when I open and close.

Also, I never have had a smoke problem with this stove until I had a liner installed last year. Now when I carefully open the door, smoke is still finding its way out and smelling up the room. The installer changed my cap on the top of the chimney, a little smaller than I had. Was wondering if this could affect my draft. Or could it be the elbow to the new liner. I had more of a straight shot with the old setup. Wood burns fine but the smoke is driving me nuts.

Yes, the additional elbow will slow down the smoke. Can you describe the flue system in detail from stove to cap?

Have you checked the flue damper to see if it is binding or getting stuck? Normally one doesn't need to lubricated this.

When was the system last cleaned? Did that include the cap?

Yes, the additional elbow will slow down the smoke. Can you describe the flue system in detail from stove to cap?

Have you checked the flue damper to see if it is binding or getting stuck? Normally one doesn't need to lubricated this.

When was the system last cleaned? Did that include the cap?

House is a Colonial with a straight shot up. The elbow connects from the back of stove to the liner and then straight up. Last setup I just had a six foot stainless pipe going into chimney. It was more of a straight run but pretty close to what I have now. The installer put the smaller cap on at top of chimney. My flue lever always worked well, just thought I would give it a little help with the WD40.

How tall is the flue system? When was it last cleaned and did that include cleaning the cap screen?

How tall is the flue system. When was it last cleaned and did the include cleaning the cap screen?
Cleaned last year and I mentioned to him about the smoke problem. He thought my draft would be better with the liner. The draft is fine for burning, just when I open door. The height of liner must be around 20-25ft?

If it is an exterior chimney you might want to insulate the liner, but putting a bigger cap on could very well fix the issue.
Liner is insulated. The cap he put on was smaller. Wondering if I should go back to the bigger cap?

Last year meaning 2011? If so, it could be that your cap screen is clogging. In the daylight check it out. If the roof is steep, use binoculars.

Liner is insulated. The cap he put on was smaller. Wondering if I should go back to the bigger cap?

Could be a poor cap design. Can you post a picture of it?

Last year meaning 2011? If so, it could be that your cap screen is clogging. In the daylight check it out. If the roof is steep, use binoculars.
Yes last year 2011. I will check tomorrow to see if clogged. My fire is burning great though. If cap was clogged, wouldn't my fire be affected? Thanks for the help.

If it's screened then it might be partially clogged.

By the description I am wondering if the cap is screened at all. If not, it sounds like it may be time for another cleaning. How was the stove right after the relining? Did you have the smoke issue then?

If it's screened then it might be partially clogged.

By the description I am wondering if the cap is screened at all. If not, it sounds like it may be time for another cleaning. How was the stove right after the relining? Did you have the smoke issue then?
Seemed to have the smoke issue right after liner install. I think it has to be the elbow or the damn cap. Maybe I'm not getting the same flow with the smaller cap. Might have him come back and put the old one in. Process of elimination I guess

I doubt it's the cap. With 25' of liner the system should draw very well. Is this a tightly sealed house?

What is your wood source? Do you buy it annually or do you split and stack your own wood?

I doubt it's the cap. With 25' of liner the system should draw very well. Is this a tightly sealed house?

What is your wood source? Do you buy it annually or do you split and stack your own wood?
House is well insulated. I buy and split and stack my own. I make sure the wood is dry. Been burning wood for over thirty years. This stove has been great, till the liner was installed.

Was anything else added with the liner, like the damper or has that always been on the stove?

No suggestion for the fix . . . but to answer the original question . . . if you mean have I lubricated the air control lever on the stove (I don't have a damper in the flue) I have done so . . . but I tend to use graphite.

Assuming the liner installation was done well and there are no obstructions or kinks in the liner, the next thing to look for is something in the stove obstructing the smoke path. The first thing to check is that the ceramic blanket is laying flat and not bunched up toward the back of the baffle, blocking the flue outlet.

WD40 is great for it's intended use , Water Displacement. (distributor caps etc)
It was never intended to lubricate and will evaporate quickly at temp. All it will do is dissolve buildup and wash away.
Any high temp lubricant would probably do better and last longer. You can find some at a good auto parts store.

If your investigation yields no problems with the stove or liner, I would change to a larger cap.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.