Waterproof Chimney Spray, or Snake Oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewsome

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Long Island
My chimney sweep just finished cleaning my stove. Suggested I get my chimney waterproofed, which he claimed will keep water out, allowing masonry to heat up quicker and draft better. In theory it makes sense, but it feels like a scam. He quoted $280 for the job. What do you guys think? Here's the stuff he was telling me that he uses:

(broken link removed to http://chimneysaver.com/chimney_saver_water_base.html)

Looks like a water based, concrete sealer type product. I have used them in the past and with good success. I am not familiar with this product but if it is like a water based concrete sealer it should work. Is that price for the labor and materials ? That product is that price for it by itself, at least the 5 gallon size from this dealer...

http://sleepyhollowchimneysupply.com/chimney_saver.htm

The quote he gave me was for the labor and material. Maybe he gets it at a discount, or, maybe he's not using a full 5 gallons. My chimney is around 30 feet, so I don't know how much is required. Shocking how expensive the product is, no?

Yeah shocking for sure. I doubt he will use 5 gallons. It doesn't seem out of line at all, if the product does what it says it will. It seems to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea. I would look into the product a bit more, try and find the application rates, so you can make sure he uses the correct amount, and also try and find out how long it lasts before you need to recoat it.

A good waterproofing job is invariably worth the money on masonry.

It is not a magic cure all though, and make sure it comes with a decent guarantee.

Imagine a little way down the road, there might be a crack or two in the waterproofing, water seeps in, gets trapped behind the waterproofing, and then ice forms and the masonry starts deteriorating.

Just a thought from here, as we have an older house with a few minor problems left from previous owners "improvements" that were good at the time ;-)

Back in the 80's I had a chimney problem where water would migrate through the mortar joints and be wicked up by the block inside until just like a sponge it could not hold anymore. At first I kept blaming it on the flashing which I resealed several times. It wasn't until I was at a friends brand new home and the wall and ceiling by the combined fireplace and gas heating flues was badly damaged by water migration. The product used on the exterior to correct his problem was Siloxthane. I have no idea if it is still available but it was not water based. It was applied by using a garden sprayer. After I applied the material my problem was resolved until I no longer owned that home some 15 + years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.