Waterford Ashling Enameled Cast Iron --- Rebuild help!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellhaven

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
:kiss: I have a cracked inner back probably from over firing. Found the replacement, and is being shipped. Trying to decide best way to apply the new cement as it is reassembled. Should I use a mortar / grout bag? Is Rutlands Stovo the stuff to use, or the refractory cement that we have to mix?
I can't find a source for how to break down, or rebuild. Any ideas. I have contacted Waterford, and they just sent me an exploded view. Slightly helpful. I love this stove and it cost a bit nine years ago when we bought it.

My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I just got out the tools and started taking it apart a bit at a time, recording as I went. I need any help I can get since I can't stand "I told you so's."

Welcome Bellhaven
Rutland stove and gasket cement is what you need.Good luck with your project.

What he said. Do you have any specific questions?
I like to take pictures of things as I take them apart, if it is something I am unfamilar with, especialy since sometimes it is a lot longer till it goes back together than I thought it would be, and you never know what you might forget.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am recording as I go. As soon as the new inner back arrives, I hope it will reveal how it comes out. Not sure if it is bolted on from the rear of the stove, or if the cement is just really holding it well. If there are holes for bolts, that will answer a lot of ?? about how to do this. I am fortunate to have a friend who is a brick layer who can help with the rebuild. He will help me to cut the new firebrick to fit, and he is skilled in using the grout bag to fill gaps.
It's a good thing I went down this path, as the gaskets in the other areas are nearly gone and falling apart.

I also want to give a shout out for the folks at Lehman's they take a while to get back to you. But they do follow up, and are very helpful. They are apparently very busy in the shop right now, and in my book, the customers standing there with $$$ in hand should always get the first shot at service.

Last question.

How often should a cast iron unit need a rebuild as part of regular maint. ? We use this everyday from mid October till Mid April, usually 24 hours a day.

I haven't taken one apart, but usually there is a way to disassemble wearing parts like the liners without a complete teardown. This may not need complete disassembly. The top should be removable for cleaning. Then the upper baffle will probably need to be removed. At that point you may find that the inner back is only attached by upper bolts. If so, it may slide up and out.

This may not be your actual stove, but there is a current Stanley Ashling manual here that may be similar enough to be helpful:
http://www.waterfordstanley.com/SiteImages/Site_131/PDF/AshlingSFManual.pdf

How serious is the crack? If hairline, I might be tempted to bolt on an 1/8" steel plate to the inner liner and run it like that.

Thanks for sending the link. I did research this document, but this is the newer model. Mine has more parts along the rear wall. I did get the same type of exploded view for my model, and it just leaves too many ??? I considered a patch of that sort, but in the long run I think replacing the back and rebuilding is going to HOPEFULLY give us many more trouble free years.

From what I can tell, there aren't too many people out there who have ever had issues with this stove. That makes me feel better.

Looking forward to pics. remove the enamal top that just sits a ound the cast iron cook top (lifts off). The cast iron cook top and baffles is held on by 5 bolts. The burner tubes below that are held in by 3 bolts below, access through front door.

Thats all in know. Post pics of what you have.

Installation is reverse of dissasembly what ever you decide to take apart anywhere anytime.

Well, I did it, I torn down till I was able to remove the crack inner rear casting. What a mess trying to get all the refractory cement to chip away and clean up all the dust and chips. Now ready to get firebricks cut to size. Having that done by a mason. Then just putting it all back together.

I am wondering though if I should do a complete tear down since the castings are now probably cracked from moving the stove and all the banging that it took to get the part out. I'd hate to be wasting my time and end up with a poor burn after I'm done.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.