Water pot Scents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
I was wondering if any of you guys (and gals) use any type of scents in your water pot on the wood stove. I personally have used a couple of things with great success, and was looking for additional ideas. My favorites are: Buy the generic bottle of imitation vanilla and use a cap full per pot of water, gives off a great vanilla scent, is water based, but makes me really hungry for cookies. As the water boils out you may get a slight carmel scent at the end, but the amount used is so small that no other side effects have been seen from it (I have been doing this for about 2 years). Also, I have bought the el-cheapo cinnamon sticks and done the same thing. Warning on cinnamon sticks, you will want to remove them before the pot boils all the water out, they can give an "off" scent if left to cook at the bottom of an empty pot.

Any more ideas out there??

Whew...I thought this thread was going to include discussion of illegal substances.

Whoops - never thought of that. Maybe I should have called it "Scents used in your steam pot". Oh, well, were all adults here, right?? Hmmmmm, I'm guessing some interesting posts may be on the horizon. :p

MountainStoveGuy said:
I dilute apple juice and through oranges (spriled cut) and cloves ...

Ohoooo...I like that. Do you have to remove the orange peels before the water boils out??

I use our cast steamer with out water , more of a decoration but we put the concentrated scented oils in the dry pot and normally 2-4 drops last for days.

I filled the half kettle we got once with that liquid potpourri stuff, the whole bottle, man i was smelling lavender for like a week, smelled like a soapy smell, i guess if ya use that add it to some water, dont pour the whole bottle in by itself, unless you like the strong smell of a flower shop or soap factory.....oh yeah i also added some stuff from a tiny bottle like musk or something for those candle steamers, i put that in the water, again ONLY a couple drops not all of it cause your place will smell like a french ........

Status
Not open for further replies.