Water jacket heater questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lectraplayer

Nov 3, 2014
Crimson Tide Country
I may at some point begin looking for a wood fired hot water heater for a failproof way to heat my house and would like to know what to look for. I'm wanting to set up a system that is somewhat passive without really needing electricity to run it. Since my Ashley 060 is more than enough, I may go with something about that size. I may can place the boiler in a lean to shed that would have the top of the unit about even with the floor of my living space, or placing it in my basement is also an option. I live in Alabama, and the 17 degree lows we've had for the past week are flippin' cold for me. However, my house has a couple sections my Ashley can't reach, which I would like to get hydronically. (May also remove the Ashley) Depending with what this heater will do, I may do other things with it as well. At first look, a water jacket type boiler looks most attractive. Would another style which can be run without power be available? What would I look for?