Water in tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PJP

Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Hey guys,

I was fixing my pass through today and noticed there is some water in the bottom of my tee. My cap should be on correctly (Will check this week) so just wondering if this is due to heavy rains / wind lately and if it is normal?

Also, I still have to sweep the chimney but how do I get the creosote that falls in to the tee out? Vacuum? I have a cap on the bottom of tee so everything will get pushed down / fall in to there. Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, vacuum.

How about the water trapped in the cap? There is about 1/2 - 1" of water at the bottom. Thanks!

Is this with a full metal chimney or a tee on a stainless liner?

6" Stainless steel liner in a masonry chimney. The only way it can be getting in is through the rain cap / sideways rain. I swept the chimney today and can't see it getting in anywhere else.

Well, it will be a good ember extinguisher. j/k Sounds like wet vac territory.