Water filter Change Light on new refrigerator is on after only 6 months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
The water filter change light came on in our new refrigerator and all I did was open the compartment that holds the water filter and closed the compartment and the change light went off! Is this change light on a 6 month timer? New filters are $45.00 Same filter as a whirlpool Brand. We only had the refrigerator for 6 months! Fridge is a KitchenAid.
Will the filter actually last much longer? We have good water, can I use it without a filter?

According to this water filter ad, the filters should last 5 years not 6 months!!!! See pic 2 !!!

Should I just buy the bypass, which would be better than having a dirty filter in there?
https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Filter-Bypass-WP12664501-EveryDrop/dp/B07L732BQS/ref=asc_df_B07L732BQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242159315744&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12467914011447764214&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002285&hvtargid=pla-861949499192&psc=1

The last option is to get the bypass cap and then buy the much cheaper inline filter at Home Depot?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Universal-In-line-Water-Filtration-System-for-Refrigerators-or-Icemakers-GXRTDR/202073877?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D26P|26-9_WATER_TREATMENTS|NA|LIA|Air&WaterQuality|71700000052725342|58700005047623356|92700044092941849&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9N2_qIaP4wIVSv_jBx03BQqsEAQYBSABEgKUr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• 9598AF86-6A25-46A3-9947-FE2C615294FD.jpeg
    9598AF86-6A25-46A3-9947-FE2C615294FD.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 243
  • 72326650-9060-4E43-A937-DC2000F214C7.png
    72326650-9060-4E43-A937-DC2000F214C7.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Light may come on depending on how much water is run through it. I bought the by-pass loop for my refrigerator and did away with the filter.

Reactions: Don2222
Light may come on depending on how much water is run through it. I bought the by-pass loop for my refrigerator and did away with the filter.
That’s great! :)
Where did you get the bypass loop?

I like the inline filters better ,more choices, better prices. Those built in ones are way overpriced!

I like the inline filters better ,more choices, better prices. Those built in ones are way overpriced!
That is a great idea!
Does that inline filter go on the water line in back??

I have a SubZero and a tech was here for some service. I commented about the price of the water filters and told me I could bypass it. He either had it on his truck, or I picked it up at their center.

I expect KitchenAid would also have bypass loops. Mine just looks like a stubby filter cartridge and goes on in place of the filter.

Much better not paying for the filters.

Reactions: Don2222
I have a SubZero and a tech was here for some service. I commented about the price of the water filters and told me I could bypass it. He either had it on his truck, or I picked it up at their center.

I expect KitchenAid would also have bypass loops. Mine just looks like a stubby filter cartridge and goes on in place of the filter.

Yes, I agree and just ordered my bypass.
Thanks for your comments. :)

If you don't care about the replace filter light being on the Every Drop style filters don't even need a bypass. Mine has been on since the first filter slowed water flow, been ignoring the light since

I keep .5 Micron Filter after the Water Softener for Iron. See no need for 3rd filter. Charcoal filter under Kitchen Sink for Cold Water that feeds refrigerate. So it goes thru Water Softener (Kinetico), .5 Micron and then Charcoal. I have replaced Refrigerator filter once. Can't tell. I press button for Reset when it shows it needs changing. Feature they would not have far as I am concerned. Filters Fast has good prices. ACE for under sink.

What model BI do you have? Last one I worked on the filter was on top r/s behind the grill

That is a great idea!
Does that inline filter go on the water line in back??
Yes but i have mine in the basement ceiling below the kitchen where the line taps into the cold water supply. Much easier to get at and change than pulling out the fridge.

What model BI do you have? Last one I worked on the filter was on top r/s behind the grill

BI-36S/S/PH. There was a Sub Zero here when we bought the house. We're third owners. Replaced the one here with that one about 10 years ago. Not sure I'd buy another.

Yes, filter assembly is up top behind the grill.