Was I ripped off by a chimney sweep company? How to clean chimney with an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

discovery17

Dec 14, 2019
New York
Hi, a first time home owner here. We have a fireplace with an old insert. Called for chimney sweep company. The inserted a brush into the fireplace insert from the inside and were done in under 5 minutes. Charged me $140.
Wasn't sure what to expect. But a few days later exploring the insert I noticed that there is a lot of ash on top of the insert (impossible to see but I could feel it if I stick my hand in the opening). Also, it's impossible to see if there is creosote in the chimney if you try to look from inside. The chimney guys never went on the roof to check the chimney from the top.
Anyway, what are your thoughts on:
1) Was I deceived?
2) How do you actually clean a chimney if there is an old (and HEAVY) insert? Do you have to remove it?
Thank you!

Well, hard to say without more information. 5 minutes seems a bit short to do an inspection, but we weren't there. But let's see if your setup is safe to run. You mentioned feeling ash on top of the insert. Can you see if there is a liner attached to the top of your insert and reaching to the top of the chimney? You may be able to look up the chimney from inside the insert, or may have to remove a baffle to do this. A pic of the top of your chimney can also help in telling if there is a liner.

Hi, a first time home owner here. We have a fireplace with an old insert. Called for chimney sweep company. The inserted a brush into the fireplace insert from the inside and were done in under 5 minutes. Charged me $140.
Wasn't sure what to expect. But a few days later exploring the insert I noticed that there is a lot of ash on top of the insert (impossible to see but I could feel it if I stick my hand in the opening). Also, it's impossible to see if there is creosote in the chimney if you try to look from inside. The chimney guys never went on the roof to check the chimney from the top.
Anyway, what are your thoughts on:
1) Was I deceived?
2) How do you actually clean a chimney if there is an old (and HEAVY) insert? Do you have to remove it?
Thank you!
Like eatenby said above we don't have enough info to give a good response. What insert is it? Is it hooked to a liner?

Thank you for your replies. I took some pictures.
Was I ripped off by a chimney sweep company? How to clean chimney with an insert?Was I ripped off by a chimney sweep company? How to clean chimney with an insert?Was I ripped off by a chimney sweep company? How to clean chimney with an insert?Was I ripped off by a chimney sweep company? How to clean chimney with an insert?

My guess is that all creosote is falling on top of the insert
Well yes you did get ripped of sort of. To clean an insert like yours properly the insert needs to be pulled out and everything cleaned. But to do that would cost way more than the 140 you were charged. We will no longer clean setups like yours but if we did I would charge about twice what you were charged.

Now about your setup. The sweep should have told you that what you have is unsafe to use and is not code compliant any more. Most like us will nolonger work on setups like yours which are referred to as slammers. This is because of the safety risk to the customer and the liability risk to us. You really need to have it installed properly with a full insulated liner.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thank you so much for your responses. Do you think I should get rid of the slammer completely, or just add a proper liner?
Also, from the picture, would you be able to say if I have a lot of creosote build-up in the chimney?

Thank you so much for your responses. Do you think I should get rid of the slammer completely, or just add a proper liner?
Also, from the picture, would you be able to say if I have a lot of creosote build-up in the chimney?

What's your budget and how much do you use the stove? if you really enjoy heating with wood and will continue to do so for years to come I'd get some quotes for a modern stove with the correct liner.

I am on a limited budget, to put it mildly. Basically I would put these expenses on credit card...

1) I could try installing just a liner. I was told it should be around $2,000.
2) I could remove the slammer but then there will be a lof of expenses like heavy slammer removal (about $300), new damper (about $800), and God knows what kind of job inside the fireplace/chimney after the slammer removal.
3) I am not looking at installing a new modern insert, I guess -- there is just no money for that.

Option 4: forget about the fireplace and burn all that $$$ oil...

I am on a limited budget, to put it mildly. Basically I would put these expenses on credit card...

2) I could remove the slammer but then there will be a lof of expenses like heavy slammer removal (about $300), new damper (about $800), and God knows what kind of job inside the fireplace/chimney after the slammer removal.
3) I am not looking at installing a new modern insert, I guess -- there is just no money for that.

If you are on a tight budget see if you can pull out the stove, clean the chimney properly, and have a liner installed to the existing stove. I'm not an expert by any means in these setups but you'll hear from folks that are.

2000 is probably in the ball park to put a liner in for that stove. Maybe a little more.

In your third and fourth photo, I can see the smoke shelf damper is long and narrow.
A metal liner would need to be pressed somewhat to fit the end of the liner down through the damper, the part that attaches to the top of the stove, then before making the connection to the stove re-rounded.
Many inserts have 6 inch round exhaust ports, and on one of my fireplaces its damper was only 5 inches across.
It is not a big problem, but it likely would need to be done... wouldn't know for sure unless you can measure it and the diameter of your insert's exhaust port.

Reactions: discovery17
In your third and fourth photo, I can see the smoke shelf damper is long and narrow.
A metal liner would need to be pressed somewhat to fit the end of the liner down through the damper, the part that attaches to the top of the stove, then before making the connection to the stove re-rounded.
Many inserts have 6 inch round exhaust ports, and on one of my fireplaces its damper was only 5 inches across.
It is not a big problem, but it likely would need to be done... wouldn't know for sure unless you can measure it and the diameter of your insert's exhaust port.
It is far better practice to cut the damper out so you can keep the liner round.

Thank you. We decided to wait for now and just not use the fireplace. Too much work, which is not cheap.

Reactions: bholler
Keep in mind that when you do go to fix it that you price everything out. That stove would need an 8" insulated liner. The cost difference between going with a 6" liner and buying a used EPA certified insert may be a wash and you would save a ton in wood.

Maybe try selling the slammer cheap on facebook or craigslist and have them pay you to haul it off.

Make sure that non epa stoves are allowed in your area as well. Some areas consider pulling a permit a new install and have to be brought into compliance.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler