Was having withdraw so I fired it up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
It was 96 degrees here yesterday with a heat index of 103 and I lit the boiler for the first time since may. I just got my side arm plumbed up and getting ready to try it out.
It was about 11 Pm when I lit the fire. Getting storage up to temp and should Know tonight or tomorrow how well it works. I also plumbed supply and return lines to my radiator manifolds but,
still have to run lines from the manifolds to the rads. Got a little time yet before I need to heat the house (I hope). It allways amazes me how fast the cost of plumbing supplies add up.

Good for you J.T., I have been firing all summer for hot water. Still have some plumbing to complete to the living room but as you said, "there is still time".

How much wood do you all go threw for summer time DHW ?

Not much, I am burning junk pine and slab wood, about 3/4 of a full load with a brick to control puffing. I fire on average every five days. I am surprised by how much temperature rise I get when the house isn't calling for heat, usually 40-50*. Just fired an hour ago, temp was 135* at the start.

Hi JT. Im curious how tall your vertical 500 gal. tanks are when set up. Are they in series or are they married together. Could you post any pics of them.
How pricey were your panel rads.

Thanx

Huff

huffdawg said:
Hi JT. Im curious how tall your vertical 500 gal. tanks are when set up. Are they in series or are they married together. Could you post any pics of them.
How pricey were your panel rads.

Thanx

Huff

Hi Huff the tanks are about 11' tall with the stand and a T on the very top. I plumbed them parralel But didn't get my plumbing perfectly even so I have to throttle a valve on one tank to get them to charge and discharge evenly. Worked great with the concrete radiant floor in the shop last winter. Now that I have a circulator running 24 / 7 for DHW I wonder If I would have been
just as well to have piped them in series.
I found my rads locally on craigs list for $150.00 each. They are double panel double convector wich makes a big diff. on price and output / size. I believe they are rated at 9500 btu/hr at 140 deg.
I got four rads 4' x 2' one thats like 18" x 5' and two towel warmers, one large and one small. They all come with valves so I think I did pretty good. You can find them on ebay somtimes but the shipping is a lot of money.

Worked in my crawl space about 9 hours yesterday. I had to clean out some brick and junk then put down vapior barrior on floor. By the time I got that done I only got two rads hooked
up. Have a Sore hip from scooting around and sore abdominal muscles from holding my head off the ground a lot. Not a easy place to work only 1 1/2 to 2 ' tall and the house has been added onto a couple of times so Lots of foundation to work round etc.

Attachments

• Was having withdraw so I fired it up
    boiler plumb 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 157
    boiler plumb.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 180
    boiler pipe ins.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 158
    boiler pipe ins 1.jpg