Warmer weather and CLEANING TIME

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Here in the PACNW the weather has dried out some and warmed up a bit, actually quite a bit.

Last night we had the small Whit running and the house was comfy all night.

Sooooooooooooooo, it was time to clean both the stoves.

Tore open the mechanical cabinets, vacuumed all the dust bunnies and other debris out that has collected since the season started back in October.

Amazing how much crud collects inside these beasts.

With our using nut shells, the stuff is a tad more dusty than pellets, so it tends to gather in spots

All done now and a fresh fire kindled

May be warmer weather where you are but definitely not here -3F -19C. _g Stove only getting shut down for the routine cleaning of emptying ash pan, clean burn pot, and wipe the glass;) Did my one ton in December before Christmas while it was still warm so I still have some time before it becomes a "have to".

I get that one.

We are between cold/wet spells for a few days, and I hate having a stove down when its really needed.

The little Whit MUST be shut off every 3 days, 4 max to clear the ashes and clinkers that build up in it's tiny ash pan.

The shells leave 3 times the crap that pellets leave behind and by day 3 to 4 it is at minimum a 30 minute shut down and a quicky fire box/ash pan clean.

If we know we're gonna get slammed, we will do both units and hopefully be ready.

If need be, the Quad can be brought online and hold the line while we clean one or the other of the Whits.

Such is life.

I took the time today while the cabinet was open, to look over the location of the vacuum switch and the door switch and a few other details that will ultimately be part of the changes when we do the final install of the new controls.

The plan is to abandon in place all the factory electrical gear, including the power cord.

Simply disconnect everything and tape up all connectors after marking them as to where the originally went.

The new system will be PLUG AND PLAY, COMPLETELY.

All new wires will plug into existing connectors that connect the feed motor, fans, safeties, switches ect.

A great time to do a recon on stuff.

Snowy

We've got a second stove but have not punched out the holes for venting and OAK. We know the rough location but not sure of exact spot. Would be nice if we had both burning... Overnight lows -8F / -32C :(

Two is always "More Gooder" than one;)

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.