Warm Weather, Reverse Draft...tried candles, space heater, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
We have warm weather and didn't need to use the wood stove, now it's going to get cooler again, will need to use it. I've tried in the past using candles (tried a torch lighter, space heater too) to get the draft going up the flue, even left them for an hour, nada still fills the house with smoke when I try to start a fire. After about 15 seconds, it *does* reverse back, but the house then smells like smoke.

Any other ideas?

It fires perfect when the weather is cooler, just not when warmer.

This is straight-up venting, correct? How tall did the chimney end up being?

I know someone would ask this, it's long...not exactly sure, but it goes well over 2 stories.

Once again, I never have this issue when it's cold. Just when the stove hasn't been used, in warm weather.

Edit add: I'm not going to be putting another section on, just cause this happens maybe 3 times in the spring.

Does opening a nearby window an inch help?

Reactions: SpaceBus
My cookstove can be tricky with the draft, in any kind of weather. I open a window two or three inches and start my fire with very small wood tinder/kindling. Paper usually results in smoke coming into the house, which smells far worse than a few wisps of balsam fir smoke (which are usually pleasant). The only time I get smoke into the house is when I don't open the window. If the stove is at all warm then I don't have to open the window.

I hope this is helpful!

Using a chunk of a SuperCedar puck for starting might help.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Try a propane torch. Make sure the screen on the cap is plugged.