Wanting t0 know if I can install a wood stove with six inch flu opening on eight inch pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tko-kid

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2009
missouri
I know it said in another post not to buy eight inch pipe for a stove with a six inch flu opening.

but what if you have an existing chimney pipe already installed through your roof.

I am wanting to know how much heat loss would occur if I put a stove with a six inch flu on eight inch pipe.

I am asking because I have an old franklin wood stove from martin stove but have found a much newer stove for a good price thaqt has a six inch flu opening.

Thanks for any help or ideas you all have.

Generally speaking, you never want to vent a stove into a flue with more than double the area of that of the stove outlet. 8" has almost twice the area 6" does, so you're getting close to the limit... but you should be alright. The downside is your draft might not be as good as it could be and you might notice more creosote build up than you would if you had the 6" all the way up.

With a piping system thru the roof you should be fine. I would do it and just monitor flue/stove top temps

We did it at our weekend place. There was an 8" metalbestos chimney already installed; but no stove. With some help from the guys here, I hooked up the Castine and crossed my fingers. It works just fine. I may have to tweak my burning a bit once the cold winter weather rolls around. But I pretty much live by that stove top thermometer and always keep it above 400...unless I'm coaling down due to it being 85 in the house. Nothing like watching ski movies in shorts and a t-shirt. :lol:

thanks for all the replies

I was planning on getting one of the models here http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...4&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=wood+stove

That lowes has and it looks like every one they have is a six inch pipe.

Since it is in my garage the total pipe length is maybe 12-15 feet high. So cleaning it out for creosote shouldn't be a problem

I have only had it a year and already cleaned it out 3-4 times just to be sure.

also the models on lowes are much more efficient then my old franklin stove by martin stove

the draft should not be effected to bad compared to my old stove that leaks so bad. I am guessing I may still have better draft with a new stove with smaller pipe the with my probably 70+ year old stove

This is our situation also, once we changed stoves late last spring. Our old VC was an 8" exhaust, and we have an external masonry chimney with a square clay liner. Not the best possible setup for draft in the first place. When we bought the Oslo, I had to adapt the 6" outlet up to 8", hoping that would work ok and we wouldn't have to get the chimney relined.

I was concerned about draft quality, but it's been just fine even on shoulder season burning so far. I decided to keep the pipe at 6 as long as possible before doing an adapter up to 8, figuring that would be best for the draft.

Could always put a 6" outlet adapter on the top of the chimney, which I believe would work the same as having a 6" pipe all the way up.. Right??

Status
Not open for further replies.