Wanted: Flexible flue piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drhiii

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2006
I've looked all over my area for some 6" flexible flue pipe as I have a need for 2' to 3' of flex pipe to redo a currently awkard setup. The only way to do this is with the use of flex pipe.

Problem is, everyone wants to sell far more than I need. Does anyone know of a source where I can just purchase 3' of 6" (black if possible) flex pipe? This will connect to a 4' black stove pipe that comes directly out of the stove, and the adjustable flue pipe that exits the ceiling is offset about 9-10", and I need to snake over to it to complete the setup...

Help anyone?

tx

the use of elbows and slip sections of pipe will get you your offset with out using flex pipe. I have never seen any black flex, and stainless flex would look bad. two 45* elbows and 6" rigid with a slip joint should get you in that range. If its a little long you can trim some more off the rigid with tin snips.

I'll give it another go. That is what I have there now and it is an akward fit. But will revisit this as you indicate... was hoping that black flex pipe existed. Sigh...

MountainStoveGuy said:
the use of elbows and slip sections of pipe will get you your offset with out using flex pipe. I have never seen any black flex, and stainless flex would look bad. two 45* elbows and 6" rigid with a slip joint should get you in that range. If its a little long you can trim some more off the rigid with tin snips.

Hi,
The devil is in the details- If you are way compulsive about the adjustment on your elbows (assuming you have adjustable ones) they can be fine tuned to be exactly lined up, then straight section(s) trimmed to fit. A long enough straightedge can help. I suggest trial fitting at each end and measuring how much of your straight section actually goes into each elbow, so you can tell where your cut really needs to be on the straight section (distance between ends of properly aligned elbows, plus total of both end overlaps = total length of straight section) ... basically, an exercise in vocabulary building and character development, especially if you have present day snap together pipe sections ... Neat feeling once you have it right!
Stay warm,
Ed

Ja, it can be a bit like a solving a Rubik's cube but you can roll the segments of adjustable elbows to get any sort of Rube Goldberg looking pipe to go exactly where it needs to.

Problem was probably solved back in 2007.

BrotherBart said:
Problem was probably solved back in 2007.
Good eye BB Ha Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.