wall vents??? need help circulating heat to cold rooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bikerguyforlife

Jul 13, 2018
Erin,tn
hello guys my wood stove went in sucessfull...but my small living room is hot now....but the other rooms are cold...we dont run it consistantly if i did they would probably be good....do they make big wall vents you can install? to get hot air to my other rooms? they are cold!.....god bless happy new year!

Try this trick. Do you have a table fan? Here is a trick for distributing the heat. It works quite well assuming that there is a line of sight path between the cooler area and the stove room. The idea is to blow the cooler air down at floor level, toward the stove. Cold air is more dense and easier to move.

For more even heat in the house put a table or box fan in the cooler room or area within sight of the stove room, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove room. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the room temp after about 30 minutes running. And the stove room temp should drop by a corresponding 5+ degrees.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
begreen....the problem we have is we dont have a hallway...its just a small walkway doorway to other side of house....sort of 5x5 hallway....no way to get heat back there....only thing i can think is huge wall vents in our living room...that wpuld allow it to get to our bedroom....even with that....it wont get to other smaller bedroom

Is there a basement? Can you post a quick sketch of the floorplan?

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Don’t complicate it, do you have a basement ? As bgreen stated the only way to make a satellite room warmer is to remove the cooler air the warm air will naturally flow in coolest areas

Last edited by a moderator:
wall vents??? need help circulating heat to cold rooms

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hallway it's about 12' at a 90° from my stove room witch leads to another Hall with a bedroom at either end. I place a small 8" fan just inside the door of the masterbedroom and point the fan towards the hallway and the cold air makes it's way around the corners to the stove room then the warm air from the stove room makes it's way to the back room. Try this it will work for you

The advice you have so far receive is mostly good advice. It can work. And it requires no alterations to your home structure.

But, I personally have tried these options and they did not work for me for what I wanted.

For one thing, moving cold air creates a cold draft. You may feel it. Thus, despite "cold air is more dense and easier to move" is true, warm air also moves. That is why forced air heaters work.

If the cold fan options don't work consider installing an air fan system into your ceiling, with duct pipes in the attic moving warm ceiling air in the hearth room to back rooms (Important: insulate the pipes in the attic). Heat rises. So you will be moving warn ceiling heat so it will not be so potentially uncomfortable as moving cold floor air. And, yes, moving warm air works. That is what I do (more simple -- I could just install a fan in the wall to move warm air into the cold room, and that worked better than trying to move cold air out and rely on air warm air movement consequences). Maybe not as "efficient", but we are talking "electrical geek" levels of efficiency here. Probably not worth going super efficient for your needs, even if you are off gird. But it will require more work and some (difficult to undo) alterations of your home such as cutting into the ceiling that a simple floor or door fan will not require. And warm air being moved, and blowing on you rather than cold air, adds to comfort levels. So also consider "comfort", because I did when making my air movement decisions, both summer and winter.

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps a lot. I can see a couple opportunities. Plan A is little bizarre, but if the fan ran say once an hour or steadily at low cfm, then it would work. This would require vents between the common walls of all rooms with a fan in the common wall of your bedroom and the LR, blowing into the LR. When you want to circulate the heat, close the BR doors and turn on the fan. This would create a slight vacuum in your bedroom which would draw air from the kitchen through the 2nd BR and into your BR.

Still don't know if there is a basement. That would allow plan B. Is there a bathroom on this floor?

My 1st attempt would be to create cold air returns through basement from far corners of each bedroom exhausting behind stove , with adjustable registers to regulate heat , 2nd choice would be to run returns through attic exhausting above stove . Although the example of forced air furnace was used that poster neglected to acknowledge that cold air is returned from heated areas than brought into the plenum to be reheated and forced into rooms

im going to install a door (interior) on the wall closest to wood stove near living room...this will help alot....during winter months i will just leave the door open....this will help alot

Although the example of forced air furnace was used that poster neglected to acknowledge that cold air is returned from heated areas than brought into the plenum to be reheated and forced into rooms

I was mostly responding to the comment the "only" way to solve this was to remove cold air. Which is "structurally" misleading in advocating the forced moving of cold air only.

But since you mentioned it...

Because in this case, from the information provided by the OP, that is in the issue needed by the OP, the cold air will move along the cold level gradient, where dense cold air lives .. i.e. the floor. But do so in a way that is probably not as noticeable, or as uncomfortable, as blowing cold air from room to room with a fan.

By moving warm air, one is moving kinetic energy. The air temps in the house of the small size shown by the OP will really take care of themselves. The OP clearly does not have a "standard huge" American home. Yes, that matters.

Moving air through a basement is indeed "ideal", but is probably overkill given the floor plan, even if the OP has a basement. AND it assumes the OP has a basement. The OP did not say. And not all houses have basements. Don't make assumptions if the OP did not say they had a basement.

In others words, I assumed what I said was obvious given the provided information, without assumptions (I did not assume a basement). Thus a no brainier. And workable from experience by anyone who tried what I said. Again, given the OPs circumstances as stated. And thus needed no explicit explanation for most thinking people. :)

Last edited: