wall protector 24 gauge sheet metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
quadra fire told me that as a wall protector i need 24 gauge sheet metal with an inch air space behind it , how in the heck can i do a nice tile job over sheet metal ?? i told him i was going to use durock 1inch thick and he said nfpa doesnt accept that as a non combustible ?? any info would be greatly appreaciated on how to do this ??

You can use 1/2" durock sheet, spaced out 1" from the combustible wall. Then you can tile or whatever on it. It needs to be ventilated, which just means you don't completely close up the 1" air gap all around the edges. It's perfectly OK to use some non-combustible blocks or cut the durock in such a way that the weight of the thing is supported from the floor, rather than trying to hang it from the wall (it's gonna be heavy!). If it's a flat wall, away from corners, you have a choice of leaving the sides and top open, or the bottom and top open, or everything open. If that's not clear, let me know. Rick

Shane said:
Attach the sheet metal to the back of the durock. Hang it using ceramic spacers.

He doesn't need the sheetmetal. See Table 12.6.2.1 in NFPA 211 (I'm looking at the 2006 edition). 1/2" non-combustible board spaced 1" from the combustible wall buys exactly the same clearance reduction (66%) as 24 gauge sheet metal with a 1" air space. No need to double up and use both Durock and sheet metal in the same wall protector. Rick

ETA: What you need to be real careful about is the Durock. The manufacturer has apparently changed the composition of the stuff and I can't say that it's approved as a non-combustible these days. This may have been what the stove guy was alluding to. But it should be possible to locate some sort of cement board that will serve, I'd think.

Didn't mean to infer he had to have it, just that he could sandwich it in there if he chose and still have a surface to tile over.

Shane said:
Didn't mean to infer he had to have it, just that he could sandwich it in there if he chose and still have a surface to tile over.

Yeah, that's certainly true, he could if he so chose. Then I remembered all the hoopla about the change in Durock composition, so edited my post to include a cautionary note. Apparently the Durock available today is not the same product as the Durock we all came to know and love some years back. Rick

fossil said:
Shane said:

Yeah, that's certainly true, he could if he so chose. Then I remembered all the hoopla about the change in Durock composition, so edited my post to include a cautionary note. Apparently the Durock available today is not the same product as the Durock we all came to know and love some years back. Rick

That's good to know Rick, I was totally unaware of that.

Just been on the USG website. Durock "Next Gen" is what they call the stuff now. They changed the composition to make it lighter. I think the problem with it is in use in hearths, not wall shields. USG does specify it as being a non-combustible material, which is all that matters in a wall shield. I've yet to find anything about an R-value, which is what would be of interest in constructing a hearth. Rick

Fossll can you post the links you are referring to ??
Ok my combustible wall is wood paneling under that is 1/2 sheet rock , what exactly should I do is there a true cement board out there that you guys know about ? Also now I am confused about what material I should use to build my hearth I was goin to use 2 1/2. Pieces of durock then tile over that ??? What in the heck should I do ??

Doesn't matter what the combustible wall's made of...it's combustible. I think the Durock that's on the market now should be just fine as a wall shield, as USG (the manufacturer) advertises it as non-combustible. The hearth is another question. What stove is going to be there, and what does the stove manufacturer say about the required R-value of the hearth protection? Rick

Chrism said:
Quadrafire Isle royale ... And from what I gather there is no required R value just a hearth pad. I came across this link......Thanks Rick
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/42378/

You shouldn't need to "gather" anything at this stage of preparation for installation. You should have the manufacturer's documentation (owners/installation manual(s)) in your hands and very nearly memorized...and completely understood. If your appliance requires nothing more than non-combustible ember protection between the stove and the floor beneath, then it's easy. You can go cheap & quick with a factory-made hearth pad, or you can build something with a whole lot more class with a little backer board and some tile. Rick

Well the whole point of using the 24 gauge metal is that it drops my clearence to half I am supposed to be 14" away from the wall but if I put the metal up it drops me down to 7" from the wall . This is new to me this whole metal thing that's why I was wondering how to build it . Thanks

I would be inclined to purchase a stove that doesn't need ugly boards attached to walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.