Wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBurn1784

Sep 9, 2011
Long Island, NY
If I wanted to use UL listed wall protection and double wall stove pipe to reduce the clearance to combustibles, does the wall protection need to be floor to ceiling? Or extend a certain height above the stove?

Underwriters Laboratory doesn't address wall protection for reducing Clearance To Combustibles (CTC) for solid fuel-burning appliances. The basic reference is NFPA 211. A whole lot depends on just what appliance (stove) we're talking about, how old it is, and whether or not you have the appliance manufacturer's installation documentation. We can help you with this question, but we need more information about the appliance and the intended installation. Rick

Depends on your clearances. Mine are 4 feet from the floor. Mine were put in as not necessary but suggested. My stove clearances without the wall protection were minimum clearance needed. Rather have over protected then not enough. My single wall stove pipe is over the recommended clearances.

If only your stove is close then a foot above should be fine but if the pipe and the stove are close then I would go the whole way.

**** Disclaimer - I'm not a professional so take it for what it's worth - just an opinion ******

The stove is an amesti N380 (from lowes) corner installation. The clearance to combustibles is 16" from the corners. The manual says if an approved wall board is used you may reduce clearance by 2/3. Ideally I'd like to get it down to 12", but didn't want
To have to go floor to ceiling. The wall protection I'm considering using would extend 7" above the top of the stove. would this be sufficient?

I'm also open to other suggestions for wall protection. Would just a piece of 1/2" cement board spaced 1" off the wall be sufficient? If so could you paint it? Or I guess I could tile it?

I appreciate the speedy response, let me know if any more information is required.

@ n3pro I figured by using double wall stove pipe, with a clearance of 6", I wouldn't need wall protection above stove height. The pipe would be 12+ inches from any combustible. If my thinking is right...

This stove has been discussed here recently. See this thread and the one it will lead you to:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/73535/

Yes, you can install wall protection which will allow you to reduce the CTC from the stove to the combustible wall down to 12"...but no less than that. Use of double wall pipe probably precludes the need to protect the wall above. The questions that remain are the dimensions required of the wall shields, and the hearth protection requirements beneath the stove. Rick

I read the thread that you refer to, I guess my question is more along
The lines of how high above the stove does wall protection need to extend, if such a standard exists.
As far as dimensions of the wall protection it's imperial 36" x 52". So I'm thinking 36" high and 52" width on each wall would be sufficient.

The manual also says "if you have a ceiling flue hook-up, you will need protection from floor to ceiling if you do not meet the normal clearances." I assume they're referring to the stove pipe? (which will still be an acceptable distance from combustibles).

As far as hearth pad goes, I believe I have a pretty good handle on that, and it will be 2" of cement board covered with ceramic tile. R value will be >1 (required is .84)

Sounds to me like you've got this pretty well thought out, and I'd say those dimensions should be OK. Absent more specific guidance from the manufacturer, I'd say you're good to go. Wall protectors in a corner installation must have free ventilation on the top and bottom. The sides can be open as well, or closed if desired. Along the bottom, in order to provide the required ventilation, the shields can be fashioned so as to allow for both ventilation and structural support, or some other non-combustible blocks can be placed to raise the bottom of the shields ~1" above the floor to allow for ventilation, thereby precluding the wall fasteners above from supporting the weight of the shields. The shields can be as simple as sheets of 24 gauge sheet metal, or a composite of a non-combustible cement board with tile or whatever...just so long as they are completely non-combustible and there is a ventilated 1" air space between the shields and the walls. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.