Wall Protection for Vermont Vigilant 1977

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

ronb116

Mar 12, 2024
New Jersey
Hello all, Newbie here,

I have a Vermont Vigilant 1977 wood stove and am confused on wall protection. My stove has both the bottom and rear heat shields and I am installing the stove in a corner which brings me to the walls. The manual says 18" from combustible materials on the sides and I plan on building a heat shield wall with a 1" air gap. The wall will be constructed by cutting squares of Durock doubled up to give me an inch spacer and fastened to the sheet rock every 16" across and down then Durock attached to the them followed by 3/8" porcelain tile. My question is would I be able to lower the 18"s to say maybe 14"s? I talked to a local wood stove store about it and he said the stove still has to be 18"s even with the air gap. I though an air gap would allow to be closer to the wall. Would it help if I cut the sheet rock off the wall and replaced it with Durock or just fasten Durock to the sheet rock and keep it at 18"s. I do feel at ease with the 1" air gap. Any safe suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Will the stove be diagonally set in the corner or parallel to the wall?

If set at a 45 to the wall: with double-wall stove pipe, rear heat shield on the stove, and a protected wall, the corner clearance listed in the manual is 10". This is to the wall behind the wall shield, not to the porcelain tile covering.

If parallel then the distance is 14" to the side and 6" from the rear with the same setup.

[Hearth.com] Wall Protection for Vermont Vigilant 1977

14" with a proper ventilated wall shield should work out well. Do you have a copy of the installation manual? It lists the proper wall shield dimenensions as well.

Ceramic electric fence insulators are an inch thick and you could just use screws through them and create an air gap.

Reactions: ronb116
I typically use 1/2" copper pipe couplers. They are a bit more than 1" but they work well

Reactions: ronb116