Wall being installed, what modifications may be needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bukes007

Jan 9, 2015
Moncton, NB
I will be finishing this space and installing a wall that will be running between the chimney and the stove. Currently I have single wall pipe from the stove to the tee snout. The tee is connected to a rigid stainless steel liner which is insulated with 1/2" insulation and run up the masonry chimney.

My question is what is there to consider now that I want to place a wall there? I am having a hard time finding good info online. Thanks for reading.

What material is the wall? If it is combustible (wood, drywall, etc) then you need an insulated thimble. Another option is to frame in a square opening in the wall with the necessary clearance from the pipe and fill that space with bricks or tile to make it look nice. Then use a round trim ring where the pipe goes into the tiles.

Of course when building a combustible wall make sure you adhere to the clearances for the stove and connector pipe.

Last edited:
The wall will be 2x4 with drywall on top.

I thought maybe double wall pipe because of the reduced clearance but where it would need an adapter to go back to single to connect to the tee snout I thought I needed the insulated thimble.

You are probably best off using the insulated thimble. There is some safe distance away that you can have the wall material without needing it but I'm not sure what that is, someone else might know.

Most stove manuals have a section on passing through a wall. An insulated thimble is a good option. Here are a few others.

An insulated thimble will certainly work. But building the wall with steel studs rockwool and non-combustible finish material may be cheaper and easier

Watch your stove clearences to the wall as well. You may have to do the wall out of metal studs and cement board anyways.